Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Slug control

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Slug control

Postby anne in markham » May 10, 2008 2:41 pm

Have you ever heard of spraying a mixture of 1 part ammonia and 9 parts water on the soil around hostas? Do you know whether this mixture will harm the earth worms too?

Thanks,
Anne
anne in markham

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 12:08 am

Since the worms are IN the soil and the slugs are on top, I think it would be fairly safe. However, it might be one of those remedies that only works efficiently if you actually HIT the slug with it.... I have heard that citrus peels work. If you cut an orange or grapferuit in half and then eat the fruit and put the peels into the garden (like a little house) the slugs will find their way there and you can just scoop them up and dispose of them in the morning.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby anne in markham » May 11, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks, Lyn. I will try the citrus peel trick.

Anne
anne in markham

Postby murphy » May 11, 2008 2:21 pm

copper wire placed in a ring round the soil where the host grows will keep the slugs away....I have tried it and it really works. I also like to use salt....shake it on them when I see them and they die.
murphy

Postby Big Smile » May 11, 2008 6:02 pm

Cushed egg shells work wonders to keep slugs away from eating Hosta.

I save my egg shells all winter stored in coffee cans ,, its time I get them out the Hosta are growing.

Clara

Big Smile

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 11, 2008 7:43 pm

I use the 1 pt ammonia to 10 pts water, and pour it over the Hostas before they form leaves. A good cupful.

It is the only thing that works to stop slug damage here on the Wet Coast.

Eggshells...I used to use them, rings around all the plants I wanted to protect...and it didn't work. I read somewhere that slugs can climb over RAZOR blades, their slime protects them.

I do NOT know about earthworm protection, but when I go digging anywhere near, I find lots of baby red wrigglers (worms) in the garden soil...both before and after I've applied the ammonia treatment.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Big Smile » May 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Liz Cordysmum wrote:I use the 1 pt ammonia to 10 pts water, and pour it over the Hostas before they form leaves. A good cupful.

It is the only thing that works to stop slug damage here on the Wet Coast.

Eggshells...I used to use them, rings around all the plants I wanted to protect...and it didn't work. I read somewhere that slugs can climb over RAZOR blades, their slime protects them.

My Oh My, Liz,,,you must have some very tough slugs out there,,,,crawling over a razor blade and not get cut??LOL
I hope you keep them out there.

Egg shells do work for "Ontario " slugs, LOL[/b]
Big Smile

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 11, 2008 10:00 pm

Now, now, I just read it on the internet, I have never put out razor blades sharp side up, down, all around, myself!

We do have the little tiny one, two, three inch greyish brown ones, we do have rather tough-looking black ones that are VERY shiney and I usually see these when they are 2-5 inches long, and in the woods (and I have never seen these) we have the REALLY long, really interesting Banana Slugs, and you'll have to look these beauties up on the 'net yourselves if you are interested. I don't have ANY in my garden. Not even a pottery one!

But they DO exist!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Meggylou » May 11, 2008 10:13 pm

Banana Slugs are awesome!!!
Saw them out near Holberg (old air force base) in Vancouver island years ago.
One of the neatest things to see!
Meggylou

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 11, 2008 10:57 pm

They make them out of pottery at this end of the country, and sell them for garden art...imagine a big yellow banana, all brown-freckled...with antlers!

for me, slugs will always be like the ones we used to get on the back door in the night in Toronto...8- 10 inches long, MANY of them...oh shudder!!!

how I hated taking the dog out at night!
Cordy's Mum, Liz

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Next

Return to Plant Talk