Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Slug control

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby dlb » May 15, 2008 10:51 am

I've heard the criticism that Safers/iron phosphate looks like vomit, especially when wet, but then I suppose one runs the same risk with the beer method.

I've often wondereed if iron phosphate would contribute to the nutrition of the soil, especially for clay soils?
dora
dlb

Postby butterfly » May 15, 2008 11:28 am

Beer for slugs looks like beer and nothing else except your dish will be full of slugs in the AM
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Eeyore » May 15, 2008 11:34 am

Can't say I've noticed the vomit look.... but then I do have bark chips down so maybe the pellets fall underneath and I don't notice them. I've wondered the same thing about the soil Dora. I could certainly use the iron boost in my soil. Especially around the roses, and I don't even have slugs in that garden!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby dlb » May 15, 2008 11:40 am

butterfly wrote:Beer for slugs looks like beer and nothing else except your dish will be full of slugs in the AM

I was referring to the effect on the gardener actually.
dora
dlb

Postby dj_backq » May 15, 2008 11:54 am

I think it's the yeast that attracts them.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby bluewillow » May 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Liz, I've heard that your Wetcoast is famous for the big ones .... slugs that is ...... oh, I shudder just thinking about them.

Have read that a section of old hosing works. The slugs crawl in overnight and can be shaken out in the a.m. I've tried the beer but never with much success. Maybe it was the wrong brand.

bw
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason
bluewillow

Previous

Return to Plant Talk