Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Slug control

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby dj_backq » May 11, 2008 11:25 pm

Organic method:

Insert small container in the soil (I use a margarine container). The top edge of the container must be equal to the soil. Poor in beer until it reaches about 1/2 inch. Then add in a couple of dashes of soya sauce and couple drops of dishwashing liquid, mix a little. This method is also effective against earwigs.

I have a couple of these "traps" hidden in my garden, you would be amazed how many I catch...!!! Rarely see a beneficial insect in it.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby anne in markham » May 12, 2008 8:02 am

Liz Cordysmum wrote:I use the 1 pt ammonia to 10 pts water, and pour it over the Hostas before they form leaves. A good cupful.

It is the only thing that works to stop slug damage here on the Wet Coast.

Eggshells...I used to use them, rings around all the plants I wanted to protect...and it didn't work. I read somewhere that slugs can climb over RAZOR blades, their slime protects them.

I do NOT know about earthworm protection, but when I go digging anywhere near, I find lots of baby red wrigglers (worms) in the garden soil...both before and after I've applied the ammonia treatment.

Hi Liz, I am glad to know this remedy works for you. My hostas were chewed up last year. I have determined to fight the battle against the slugs this year. I will try every possible method.

Anne
anne in markham

Postby butterfly » May 13, 2008 10:43 am

I buy those huge cheap bottles of beer. $5.99

I insert dishes into the soil making them level with the ground
They crawl in, drink, get drunk and drown

simple as that
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby dlb » May 13, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm afraid my method consists of buying an expensive beer, pouring half an inch into an empty cat food can, and then I drink the rest of the beer. Repeat for each trap.
Dora
dlb

Postby Meggylou » May 13, 2008 3:16 pm

Dora
I must say your method sounds like the most fun!
:lol:
Meggylou

LOL....

Postby evepet » May 13, 2008 3:34 pm

dlb wrote:I'm afraid my method consists of buying an expensive beer, pouring half an inch into an empty cat food can, and then I drink the rest of the beer. Repeat for each trap.
Dora

I hope you don't have to repeat that procedure too many times, or you'll not be able to find your way back to the house! Not to mention, you'll probably forget all about the slugs. LOL. Oh well - you'll be in a good mood at least. :D :D
evepet

Postby dlb » May 13, 2008 4:33 pm

I have been known to justify the purchase of beer with the promise of setting slug traps.

However, most of the time I use iron phosphate (sluggo, etc.). It is not poisonous.

I've been told what is most important is to start slug control early in the season, before they start breeding.
Dora
dlb

Postby dj_backq » May 13, 2008 5:12 pm

I use a twenty-four pack, 1/4 of a beer for the slug trap and 23 3/4 for the gardener. You must do these in order, first the trap and then the beer for the gardener. I find the other way around doesn't work.
Andre

dj_backq

Postby kelly_m » May 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Was that a learn by one's mistakes experience??? :wink:

the beer is certainly the most foolproof and cheap method I've ever used....well the only method by why fix something that ain't broke!!

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby dj_backq » May 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I add soya sauce in it, it takes care of my earwig problem (real infestation around here).

The only thing missing is ginger and you have a drunken asian party!!
Andre

dj_backq

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk