Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Snails and moss

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Snails and moss

Postby Lanac » May 10, 2008 4:02 pm

I am slowly but surely digging out the weeds and grass in my garden - I sound a lot like the post I was just reading from Calgary. I have lived in this house in St. John's for just over one year. There are many good plants but lots of problem - moss and snails is my problem today. If I dig up the moss, will it keep coming back? And what about those snails. If I had a dollar for each one, I would be rich. The garden was always well tended until about six years ago when the previous owners let it go. The soil is wet and it's not warm here yet. I hate to have to dig everything up as some of the plants are quite large. I want to start planting some annuals but should I want until the late summer or fall?
Lanac

Postby B_BQ » May 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi:
Welcome to this friendly and informative forum.
I lived in Newfoundland for 16 years, (2 yrs in Gander and 14 in St. John's)!
Your moss will continue to grow if it is in a shady moist spot. It will be hard to get rid of until you get more light and air circulation into that area. Do you have large trees which are blocking air and light? If so, can you trim them?
Annuals have to be planted as early as possible in the spring, (but wait until after your last frost date), as they're only good for the one year!
Perennials on the other hand will come back year after year. Some will be better divided in the Fall, some better in the Spring, depending on what you have.
Just ask questions, and don't be afraid of sounding silly. We have all been there, and done that!
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 12:19 am

Moss is a fact of life in some areas. As Brenda mentioned, light and air circulation does help but in damp climates you have to learn to live with it.

Brenda has pretty much answered your question about annuals and perennials but if you ahve any questions or don't know what you have in your garden please ask. We love to tell people what we think! LOL!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Lanac » May 11, 2008 8:22 am

Thanks so much for the replies. There is not much shade in the garden. But the side of the house is on a busy street so the previous owner put up a privacy fence at the edge of the garden. That does shade in one area. Would the moisture also account for the snails? I did plant some bulbs last year and those are growing now. There is also some lovely ground cover - I pull up some of it. There are also two or three rose bushes that are pretty thin. I transpanted a couple last year. I hope they will be OK this year. I'll try to attach some photos later.
Lanac

Here are some photos

Postby Lanac » May 11, 2008 8:40 am

Don't laugh - I am sure your gardens are wonderful. It's about 2C this AM.
Attachments
DSCF0077.JPG
DSCF0078.JPG
DSCF0076.JPG
Lanac

Postby kelly_m » May 11, 2008 9:08 am

Moss is also a sign of neglect in areas that don't get good circulation....soil too dense, compacted. I have moss in some completely sunny sp[ots!!!!

My yard was completely neglected when I moved in last year, overrun more by moss than weeds....the research I did told me that removing the moss and applying a high nitrogen fertilizer will help....loving care will help too!!

In dark damp places it will be much harder...like it was said they like those conditions.

I am happy to report that the moss in my back yard is NOT thriving this year....although I have not applied the high nitrogen fertilizer, just the maintenance I have done over the year has made it this way...the moss in a really bad spot is still yellow...hasn't greened up at all....now if only I could get rid of the rest of the weeds!!!!

good luck!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Lanac » May 11, 2008 11:52 am

You are certainly right Kelly - neglect killed this once thriving garden. Glad to hear you had some sucess. I'll keep at it.
Lanac

Postby kelly_m » May 11, 2008 11:58 am

It has some wonderful potential though!! I love the rocks!

I am afraid, though..that once I clean up that section of moss and weeds, it'll be bare! Planting grass seed is virtually impossible because my kids would trample it in no time!

Good luck!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby murphy » May 11, 2008 2:18 pm

lots of potential in that garden for sure. Why not work with the moss..plant some ferns and native plants with it...could be very nice. I love moss and only wish it would grow in my garden.....especially on the stairs leading to my fern garden.
murphy

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Yes, you get snails in an undisturbed garden, and you can handpick them, and the moss out. Just pick the moss in clumps (with your hands, a trowel) and maybe sprinkle a little bloodmeal for this year.

Various wild birds will appreciate the snails if you can toss them onto pavement...if you happen to keep ducks or have wild ducks nearby, they love them.

I have moss in every flowerpot left standing overwinter in the garden, the garage shake roof is loaded, and I grow it, or let it grow, deliberately around my little water feature...mosses and lichens are a lot older than me and I like them! Just NOT in my flower beds!

Good luck...and welcome!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Return to Plant Talk