Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Dame's Rocket

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Dame's Rocket

Postby Pink Peony » May 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience with this plant? I have heard that it is invasive. I planted it last year and it is quite tall already.
Pink Peony

Postby Big Smile » May 10, 2008 10:54 pm

I have Dame's Rocket,,,I don't find it invasive at all.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby murphy » May 11, 2008 11:32 am

I would call it a "free seeder" rather than invasive....it does seed itself around the yard but unwanted plants are easy to pull. Dead heading after blooms fade helps keep the seeding down. They are a biennial I think and don't bloom the first year...but the second they bloom and seed then die..so if you don't let some seed...you won't have it again.
murphy

Postby Durgan » May 11, 2008 8:38 pm

I have two, Dames Rocket, (Hesperis matronalis) white and blue, and keep it contained, by digging a trench around the two clusters. Mine always propagates from roots. The flowers are very attractive, and bloom profusely at the appropiate time.

Dame's rocket is listed as a noxious weed by the United States Department of Agriculture.

To do my duty I do not let the flowers go to seed. The wild areas are covered with this plant, which was introduced to NA from Europe in Colonial times.
Last edited by Durgan on May 12, 2008 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby patty » May 11, 2008 9:38 pm

I know they are happy reseeders, but isn't the plant itself a biennual, not coming back the 2nd year?
patty

Postby Big Smile » May 11, 2008 10:49 pm

I googled and here is what I found.

Hesperus matronalis - Dame's Rocket, Sweet Rocket
Flower Color
Height
Season
Pests
Uses
Propagation

lavender, white
24"- 36"
late spring
aphids
natural garden, border, mass planting
seed

Performance - Dame's rocket is a relatively common, old-fashioned perennial used in Kentucky gardens. This plant is native to Europe and has escaped from U.S. gardens or is planted in wild flower areas. Some would consider this plant to be an invasive exotic plant, but it does produce a spectacular show in the spring garden. Be sure to plant other summer flowering annuals or perennials around it so its summer absence doesn't leave a big hole in the garden.

Comments - The plants are usually biennials, but most people don't notice that the seeds have germinated in the fall; they only notice the flowers in the spring. There are white and double varieties.

Clara
Big Smile

Return to Plant Talk