Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Moring glories/Choco ones and Moonflowers

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Moring glories/Choco ones and Moonflowers

Postby Sheikea » May 11, 2008 11:03 am

I have action in the greenhouse there are sprouts every where is it to early to stick em in the ground you think?I also have Dhalia's and Calla lilies up as well.Should I hold off on the putting in the ground? :D
Sheikea

Postby murphy » May 11, 2008 11:15 am

morning glories like warm soil...I would hold off for sure.
murphy

Postby Sheikea » May 11, 2008 11:18 am

Thank you i thought so.Warm weather and being a little impatient I think I am..LOL :D
Sheikea

Postby murphy » May 11, 2008 11:33 am

my morning glories are already over a foot tall...I sowed them a tad too early and am also impatient to get them planted..but in the past when I have done this prior to the end of may..they just have not done well.
murphy

Postby Meggylou » May 11, 2008 1:30 pm

I've sown my morning glories already ( started a few weeks back from seed). I have them outside under pop bottles with the bottom cut off. They soil is warm where they are though because they get full sun.
Meggylou

Postby Durgan » May 11, 2008 1:56 pm

My morning glories are coming up in their bed from last years seeds.

They tend to withstand a light frost now, but I have planted greenhouse ones too early in past years, and they got zapped with frost when it came.

It is a problem when they get too tall in the greenhouse. I have wrapped them around the stake, and alos clipped them, but they tend to not do so well.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby dlb » May 11, 2008 1:59 pm

I sowed several types of morning glory in April: Heavenly Blue, Flying saucer, Chocolate, and Aomurasakizyouhatensibori. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/150688/

They were all seeded more or less the same time, so my little experiment this year is to compare performance in containers as opposed to the ground.

I'd say it will be a couple of weeks before they can go into the ground though.
Dora
dlb

Postby patty » May 11, 2008 9:53 pm

dlb wrote:I sowed several types of morning glory in April: Heavenly Blue, Flying saucer, Chocolate, and Aomurasakizyouhatensibori. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/150688/

They were all seeded more or less the same time, so my little experiment this year is to compare performance in containers as opposed to the ground.

I'd say it will be a couple of weeks before they can go into the ground though.
Dora

I agree with the others Sheikea

Dora I think you spelled Aomurasakizyouhatensibori wrong;) LOL...just kidding. What a long name. Please keep us posted on your experiment conclusions.

I'm growing the yellow Japanese MGs this year, and what terrible germination i got!! Three seedlings out of I think 15. The last 3 I really nicked.:)

ps. I had to c/p Aomurasakizyouhatensibori :)
patty

Postby dlb » May 11, 2008 10:49 pm

What does c/p mean?
:oops:
Dora
dlb

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 11:40 pm

copy and paste....
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk