Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Anyone else in zone 4 or colder finding their plants slow...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Anyone else in zone 4 or colder finding their plants slow...

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 9:57 pm

Admitedly it is typically still very cool here, only mid-teens on a good day and still dropping below zero at night. Nonetheless, I am still surprised at the lack of growth here. No sign of peonies, bleeding hearts, endless summer hydrangea, spiderwort, daphne, some coral bells, some daylilies, culvers root, weigela, dogwood...you get the idea.

Eeyore, Sheikea, Bluebird...anyone else close by....are you noticing the same thing?

Sure hope my HUGE backyard redo last year doesn't turn out to be one big disaster. A lot of time, energy, and money went into changing it. I'm starting to get a bit concerned.

On the plus side, that darn blue poppy is growing like crazy. It is loving this cool weather. However, I would much rather have all of the other plants thrive and this one die. :?

Scrapinthehat might soon be known as sadinthehat
Scrapinthehat

Postby Meggylou » May 11, 2008 10:06 pm

I'm in 3b/4a and things are growing quite well.
my neighbours peonies are up
my irises and day liles are huge...no iris blooms or buds though.
And my perennials have survived the transplant from a friends garden.
I hope you get to see some little leafy life soon!
Meggylou

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 10:13 pm

My backyard is facing west so one would think that those plants would be poking their heads out. I couldn't possibly have killed them all....could I? I didn't move the peony...aren't they darn near indestructable?
Scrapinthehat

Postby Sheikea » May 11, 2008 10:27 pm

Hey there hun yes I have noticed it my hosta's look like they are barley moving I had to dig around ot see if they were even alive and same with my lambs ears and two roses.Thought my virgin creepers were dead till i snipped them back and went ooooo green..Hope they come back fast. :D
Sheikea

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 10:33 pm

Sheikea...forgot the hostas and painted ferns...no sign of these guys either. Glad to hear I'm not alone...gives me a bit of hope :)
Scrapinthehat

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 11:06 pm

Lulu...ok now I'm just jealous...lol. What is your typical daytime and nighttime temps like?
Scrapinthehat

Postby butterfly » May 11, 2008 11:08 pm

I am in 5b and yes everything slow here

No sign f hostas or ferns yet and many others plants or even leaves coming on the trees

woke up to 5 inches of snow this morning

darn windy and rained heavy all nite then this snow. so windy I was awakw all nite

snow is gone now but still darn cold
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 11, 2008 11:29 pm

Butterfly...we had lots of rain with a chance of "flurries" but didn't get any. Darn cold here too, especially with the wind chill. I hate being out in a cold wind so haven't spent any quality time outside except for the odd nice day here and there. Sorry to hear about the snow...guess it's good that it melted though. Thanks for the info.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Very slow here Scrap. The hostas and ferns are not showing at all. The stuff in the "fence garden" is barely up, that includes the daffs. That's the coldest and wettest part of the yard and is always the last to show anyway. The only real growth I have is in my sunny south garden near the house. Even it is behind schedule though.

I got e-mail from my friend in Calgary and she says she is finding it difficult to stay motivated with such cool weather and things getting snowed on repeatedly!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk