Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Anyone else in zone 4 or colder finding their plants slow...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Northpine » May 11, 2008 11:37 pm

It's pretty well the same story here, Scrap. Some perennials are up, but they've barely progressed. We're still slipping below zero at night and daytime highs rarely climb into double digits. But worse, it is very dry with no rain in sight.
Usually this time of year is so exciting with new sprouts showing up daily.
What kind of snow cover did you have? Ours was good, but this very long cold spring has me worried also.
Northpine

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 12, 2008 12:06 am

Northpine...we had a lot of snow here 3 weeks ago...about 2 feet of snow actually. Also, rained here again today. Not worried about moisture...just frustrated with the cold temps. Usually I even have my pots of annuals planted up by now and am just covering them at night once in a while. Haven't even bought my annuals yet. Really quite depressing. :cry:
Scrapinthehat

Postby dlb » May 12, 2008 8:58 am

I'd say we're a couple of weeks behind. Everyone I've asked will take a tomato plant from me but doesn't want them yet because they don't have the setup inside.
Dora
dlb

Zone question

Postby DMG » May 12, 2008 11:03 am

I know I am in Zone 5b. The hostas are just up now. Shasta daisy too showing well, violas, tulips blooming etc. I received a 'winter hardy to Zone 3 Azalea' called Northern Lights for Mom's day. Hardy to Zone 3, and I am in 5 b. Meaning not hardy for me right? DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 12, 2008 11:20 am

Same zone as Lyn & things are slow....even the lawn looks like crap. However, most of our Hostas are peeking through but even the delphiniums are only a couple of inches out of the ground. The crocuses were miserable. The roses are starting to bud. Lambs ear ... no sign yet.
Nothing at the astilbes. Poppies are starting. Honeysuckle is leafing as well as that #@#% weed virginia creeper. One of the peonies has a tiny spear showing as well as a tiny spear at the bleeding heart. The May tree has started to leaf out complete with bloom buds. The shrubs, cotton easter, yellow spirea, lilacs, are also beginning to leaf.
The spreading junipers have finally turned from winter purple to green.

It's just slow & due to low snow fall pretty darn dry & have started to water. Because everything is so slow I can't tell yet which plants if any, became victimized by winter and are no more. Maybe we are too eager caused by the move-up date of daylight saving time ?

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 12, 2008 11:28 am

Lulu...our ground is definitely still cold here and lots of cold rain again today. Glad I haven't turned the sprinklers on...they would've frozen by now.

DMG...if your hostas are just up, then it isn't so bad that mine are still hyberating. 8) .

Also, Zone 3 is basically BRRRR zone...not quite living in igloos, but feels like it sometimes. If that azalea is labelled zone 3 it will grow fabulously for you...or anyone living in zone 4, 5, 6...etc. just not 1 and 2 (sorry Northpine). I personally haven't tried one yet, but it is definitely on my list. Happy planting.

Edited to add:

Lee...you've made my day. Glad to hear about those peonies and bleeding hearts. Mine should be showing their stems any day now too. Good to hear. Thanks so much for sharing. I won't worry quite as much now. :lol:
Scrapinthehat

Postby Grannygardener » May 12, 2008 11:40 am

My gardens are about in the same stage as Lulus except for my red and white bleeding hearts. They're just poking through now. I'm In the north end of the city hehehe(private joke between my dad and I, he lived in the south end by the lake too)The only ones that I really keep an eye on are my smoke bushes.They are always really slow and I almost reach a stage of frustration and think I'll cut them down when bingo and green appears.Holding my breath,no red beetles on my lilies after potato dust. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Edie....so glad to hear that the potato dust is working for you. it would be a darn shame to have all your lilies eaten by those dang bugs.
Scrapinthehat

Thanks Scrapinthe hat

Postby DMG » May 12, 2008 12:41 pm

Hey Scrap, thank you for the encouraging reply. I see now how they are categorizing from warmer zones to cold and not vice versa...5 being warmer than your Brrr 3 LOL We get so much snow here that I wondered...and thought my hubby got talked into something. Thats great news! I am going to find a lovely spot for that new addition. I keep looking and watching for new garden growth signs myself. I believe my Rudbeckias are up too now. Lilies coming along nicely. DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk