Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Should I prune my "Polish Spirit" clematis?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Should I prune my "Polish Spirit" clematis?

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 11, 2008 10:12 pm

I usually prune it to near the ground, but this year, I noticed that it is budding far up the main stems. Should I chop it down to get bushier plants? Or leave it and perhaps, get earlier blooms?

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 11:43 pm

I just checked it out, Polish Spirit is a class 3, which means it blooms on this years new wood. Prune Hard in the Spring, down to about 6 or 8 inches. I'm amazed you are getting blooms far up the old stems! My clemmies pretty much die right down over the winter.
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"

Postby B_BQ » May 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I had a Polish Spirit in my last house, and strangely it also grew from old wood, plus sending up new shoots every year. It got absolutely massive in about 5 years!

I planted another one here last year, and it died down naturally at the end of the season. It is now 2' high from new growth and very sturdy-looking!

So, two Polish Spirit, two different growing habits!

Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown

Postby patty » May 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Same as BBQ here. I never pruned my three year old polish spirit thinking they didn't need it, and it bloomed fine. Maybe it's a clematis that grows both on old and new wood?

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 13, 2008 12:46 am

The clematis is showing growth about four feet from the base! Does that mean we had a mild winter here? (Sure didn't seem like it.)

It is planted in a sheltered area by the house that gets afternoon sun. I noticed that the Oriental lilies are also up in that area, and I've been told they are border-line hardy for my zone.

Return to Plant Talk