Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Should I prune my "Polish Spirit" clematis?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Should I prune my "Polish Spirit" clematis?

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 11, 2008 10:12 pm

I usually prune it to near the ground, but this year, I noticed that it is budding far up the main stems. Should I chop it down to get bushier plants? Or leave it and perhaps, get earlier blooms?
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Eeyore » May 11, 2008 11:43 pm

I just checked it out, Polish Spirit is a class 3, which means it blooms on this years new wood. Prune Hard in the Spring, down to about 6 or 8 inches. I'm amazed you are getting blooms far up the old stems! My clemmies pretty much die right down over the winter.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby B_BQ » May 12, 2008 12:31 pm

I had a Polish Spirit in my last house, and strangely it also grew from old wood, plus sending up new shoots every year. It got absolutely massive in about 5 years!

I planted another one here last year, and it died down naturally at the end of the season. It is now 2' high from new growth and very sturdy-looking!

So, two Polish Spirit, two different growing habits!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby patty » May 12, 2008 8:20 pm

Same as BBQ here. I never pruned my three year old polish spirit thinking they didn't need it, and it bloomed fine. Maybe it's a clematis that grows both on old and new wood?
patty

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 13, 2008 12:46 am

The clematis is showing growth about four feet from the base! Does that mean we had a mild winter here? (Sure didn't seem like it.)

It is planted in a sheltered area by the house that gets afternoon sun. I noticed that the Oriental lilies are also up in that area, and I've been told they are border-line hardy for my zone.
DonnaZn2SK

Return to Plant Talk