Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

transplanting

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

transplanting

Postby jazz » May 12, 2008 8:25 am

Can I transplant tiger lilies now. I have to divide. But am not sure. Thank yu. Jazz
jazz

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 12, 2008 8:34 am

Hi Jazz:
Are you talking real lilies Lilum tigrinum or the ubiquitous "ditchlily", a Daylily(Hemerocallis)?
Either can be moved(divided) early in the year, but you need to be careful not to decapitate the lilies.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby jazz » May 12, 2008 9:12 am

I think day lilies sharon. They are an orange color. At the moment they are about 8 inches high. Thanks jazz
jazz

Postby Eeyore » May 12, 2008 10:38 am

Jazz, is it the grassy foliage or is it the one that grows from a bulb and sends up one stalk with shiny green leaves? If it's the true lily from a bulb, as Sharon says, be careful not to break the top foliage off. The daylilies are pretty much indestructible and can be divided any time.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk