Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Discolouring of tomato leafs

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Discolouring of tomato leafs

Postby dj_backq » May 12, 2008 2:07 pm

I'm experiencing some slight discolouring of a few of tomato leafs. My plants are about 5 weeks old. Just transplanted them in bigger pots yesterday. They were showing these signs before transplanting. Leafs that are partly turning grey and yellow. No spots or curling. I have searched all diseases in my books and I can't find anything that ressembles. Almost looks like army camouflage! Other side of leaf is slightly purple.

Lack of nutrients? Over watering? Sun burn? Was my smaller pots stressing them? I removed most of these leaves... should I leave them be? Keep in mind that I'm all organic.

I have grown tomatoes before, first time I have this problem. Thanks

Andre
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby butterfly » May 12, 2008 4:00 pm

I don't fertilize my toms until they have been planted outside for a couple of weeks

So I never had that problem

maybe over fertilizing is doing it I think
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby dlb » May 12, 2008 9:45 pm

I have a couple of sites for you:

http://www.hbci.com/~wenonah/min-def/tomatoes.htm

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/diagnostickeys/TomWlt/TomWiltKey.html#yellow

Take a look at the nice pictures and compare. From your description I'd say phosphorus or calcium deficiency.

I had a lot of trouble with one batch of tomatoes this spring - it appears to have been a nitrogen deficiency. I would have had to have taken much better notes to postively identify what was done differently with that batch, but I do know I was scrambling for potting soil at one point, and may have used a mix not suited to tomato seedlings. This year I conquered labelling. Next year they will all have ID numbers.
Dora
dlb

Postby dj_backq » May 12, 2008 9:56 pm

I think they had overgrown their pots... and therfore the roots could not reach some nutrients, nitrogen especially acording to the pictures.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Return to Plant Talk