Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

early planting?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

early planting?

Postby haili » May 13, 2008 8:12 am

How many like to push the envelope and plant their annuals before the 24th? I generally do it every year if the long range weather forecast doesn't show frost. It is very sheltered here from all the trees and even when we get frost it doesn't seem to hurt them.

It's the long weekend coming up but things seem slower this year. On the other hand, there are a couple of good sales, so I'm thinking of buying my annuals. But if I do that, I can't resist planting after a couple of days. Are you all being sensible and waiting?
haili

Postby Sheikea » May 13, 2008 9:48 am

Oh thank heavens I am not the only one who has the patience of a squirrle with a bag of peanuts..I am just itching to get at planting..LOL.Its all I can do to stop myself.. :lol:
Sheikea

Postby haili » May 13, 2008 7:24 pm

Well, I went overboard on petunias this year and planted them in my window boxes and planters. Had some left over so put them in the ground! I sure hope they're tough! Maybe tomorrow I'll get the impatience but will try to restrain myself for a few days in case they have to go inside at night. The geraniums from last year have been out for about a month except for the one cold week we had when I brought them in.
haili

Postby B_BQ » May 13, 2008 8:18 pm

I am 'guilty'.

All my planters and hanging baskets are done, and have been out for almost a week now. They're all fine!

My tomato plants are within a day or two of being thrown into the ground to fend for themselves. They've been in the mini greenhouse at night, but out during the day.

I have not been so brave with my basil though. I am still babying it. It goes into the greenhouse at night, and out during the day, and I will continue to do that until all danger of frost is past. It's such a wimpy baby! All my other herbs are in the ground.

Same goes for the Brugs. Still too scared to let them fend for themselves!

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Pansy » May 13, 2008 11:01 pm

I went overboard this year & ended up with 7 flats of plants

grown from seed.I feel like i have a baby sitting job.

Got the itch today so planted up 3 planters....a couple of

Tommytoe plants...carrots etc.Just can't wait any longer.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby dj_backq » May 13, 2008 11:20 pm

I planted early last year... really bad results. %33 germination rate and transplants really had a big shock even if they were hardenned off.

It may work most of the time, but you might get caught like me last year!

Just a heads up.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby patty » May 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Pick me..but then I'm known to never follow garden rule books.:) For those that do though remember this is the long weekend coming up, but not actually the 24th, so you have another week.

Happy gardening!
patty

Postby Blossom » May 13, 2008 11:46 pm

I did my geraniums I planted from seed well over a week ago, and they are fine. Popped in an ornamental grass, but put a hot-cap on it at night. Will probably put in more this week-end, from seed. They are getting so big. Will be buying my impatience on Thursday. Will then see what the long-range night temps will be. Can't wait much longer!
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Next

Return to Plant Talk