Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

thistle war, I am losing...help please!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

thistle war, I am losing...help please!

Postby Rudbeckia » May 13, 2008 6:06 pm

:cry:

I am of Scottish descent, so I respect the thistle, but the thistle does not respect me. Last year we moved into our house and dug up EVERYTHING, I mean everything, even used a power tiller, and THE THISLES ARE BACK. How do I get rid of these things? Yes, they are pretty, but I don't want a garden full of them and I am hazard to say my neighbours don't want them either. I am very anti-chemical, we have two boys, four cats and a dog, so I don't want to use chemicals... BUT, if there is a controlled safe way to do it (kill the thistles) I am open to suggestions...

HELP!
Uber Newbie Gardener! Be Gentle!
Rudbeckia

Postby Eeyore » May 13, 2008 6:43 pm

I love your signature line! :lol:

Thistles are nasty, they are one of those things that if you break the root up it will grow back in as many places as there are broken root. If you can, hand pull them. Water the soil well and leave it for a day or 2 and then start pulling. If that doesnt work try shooting them with vinegar in a spray bottle or pour boiling water on them. Start when the plants are small and keep after them. It may take all summer but you have to keep up with them and get them before they seed.

Get your boys out there to pull them!

As a last resort, you can use Round-Up. It is a chemical but it doesn't get into the soil. It only works on the plant.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 13, 2008 7:24 pm

I agree with Eeyore. Give those options a try. Sorry about your thistle problem.
Scrapinthehat

Postby murphy » May 13, 2008 9:22 pm

you haven't been feeding birds black niger seed have you...or a neighbour....it is thistle seed. :mrgreen:
murphy

Good Lord All Mighty!

Postby Rudbeckia » May 13, 2008 10:12 pm

Good Lord All Mighty! Black niger seeds are thistels!?! I have not personally been using them, but it is VERY possible the neighbours do!

I have not tried the suggestions here, other than I **believed** I had dug them up roots and all...then tilled, then grass seeded last fall...the grass between the thistles is very nice though ;) I suspect I compunded my problem though with any root I missed, I had no idea I was helping them procreate!

I did not know that about Round Up, I have heard it was possible but I didn't know it had the soil friendly aspect. I think I will try everything suggested ~ I certainly have enough of them to run an experement and try each idea!

Thank you thank you thank you...I will let you know how things progress...look out thistels, this long weekend you won't know what hit ya!

:)
Uber Newbie Gardener! Be Gentle!
Rudbeckia

Postby Pansy » May 13, 2008 10:35 pm

Yes by all means try vinigar or boiling water. Roundup is

friendly to the soil,but not to our children.If you want the info

on Roundup just read Organic Gardening Magazine.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Eeyore » May 14, 2008 12:10 am

Actually Black Nyder seed is NOT thistle. It is sometimes called Thistle seed but it is not the same. In fact Nyger seed is sterilized so it cannot sprout in your lawn or garden.

http://www.vermisell.co.uk/cgi-bin/trol ... prod_BNS01
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Pepper » May 14, 2008 6:35 am

I'm jumping on the thistle killing bandwagon this weekend too Rudbeckia! bwahahaha :twisted:
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby murphy » May 14, 2008 7:17 am

Eeyore wrote:Actually Black Nyder seed is NOT thistle. It is sometimes called Thistle seed but it is not the same. In fact Nyger seed is sterilized so it cannot sprout in your lawn or garden.

http://www.vermisell.co.uk/cgi-bin/trol ... prod_BNS01

Thanks...I was told years ago not to feed this to birds becuase of it being thistle seeds...now I can start using again...thanks.
murphy

Postby Northpine » May 14, 2008 9:00 am

Murphy, I have a feeder full of niger seed and have not had any problem with germination of any seed from it.

I do, however, have thistle sprouting in my lawn because of the field of Canada thistle growing wild near my yard. I do find them very easy to pop out when they are little though. Much easier than dandelion to keep under control.
Northpine

Next

Return to Plant Talk