Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

New plant introductions...(add yours)...

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

New plant introductions...(add yours)...

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 13, 2008 7:20 pm

I don't know 'bout all of you, but I have found it somewhat cumbersome googling and researching new (or recent) introductions for the upcoming planting seaon. I have spotted several that I am interested in, but can only imagine those I haven't heard about...YET. Let's help each other out by listing those you have come across. Here are a few of mine:

1) Green Envy Coneflower
2) Coconut Lime Coneflower
3) Citronella Coral Bells
4) Peppermint Twist phlox
5) Strawberries and Cream Hibiscus
6) Color Flash Astilbe (introduced to me by a new gardening buddy)
7) Blue-eyed Blonde Campanula Bell

Edited to add: feel free to add plants you have and you'd like to have.
Last edited by Scrapinthehat on May 14, 2008 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scrapinthehat

Postby Venice » May 13, 2008 8:55 pm

you sound like my neighbor, she loves green flowers. This year she bought some lime glads, can't wait to see how they come up.

I don't really have any to add.

Ven
Venice

Postby Scrapinthehat » May 13, 2008 11:40 pm

Ven...just started taking an interest in green stuff this year. I am paying much more attention to foliage than ever before too. All those Heurchera introductions kind of forces one to think about foliage...don't they?
Scrapinthehat

Postby Blossom » May 13, 2008 11:56 pm

Two I have this year are Green Envy Coneflower.
Luna Hibiscus - started from seed . Suppose to bloom first year. Will report later.
Color Flash Lime - I planted last year - didn't do much - probably because of the drought we had. Looks good so far this year. Well see.
I am starting to like the different foliage on plants such as the varigated leaves, and the heucheras as well. Have several different purple ones. I yanked out all the older varieties of coral bells. Like the newer ones much better.
"Life is like an onion - You peel off one layer at a time, and sometimes you weep."-Sandberg-
Blossom

Postby murphy » May 14, 2008 7:56 am

I love foliage...it is so much better to look at the foliage than the flower in some respects when planning to add a new plant to the garden....you get the foliage for the entire season...but most only bloom for a week or so...it is great that we are getting so many choices..and the new varieties of coral bells are just amazing...most I don't even let bloom.
murphy

Postby Sheikea » May 14, 2008 9:45 am

Huge huggles all.Not sure if its new but definately new to me Ajuga retans aka Black Scallop.Beautiful little plant.I can hardly wait to see what it is gonna look like.How about Creeping Jenny first time I have saw it here seeing it alot as well. :D
Sheikea

Postby murphy » May 14, 2008 11:17 am

Please think twice about planting creeping jenny in anything but a container....it has run rampant through my garden and I spend days every month...ALL season just trying to control it. It makes a very tight mat around the plants in my garden...at first I thought oh great...a natural mulch..but then I noticed it was literally choking the other plants out. It is in every bed in all parts of my garden...though I planted it nowhere....I think it was either lurking here when I moved in or I inherited it with a plant somebody shared with me. It seems to grow all winter under the snow..I don't know if others struggle with it as I do...but I am literally rendered bloody knuckled every time I spend a day pulling the stupid thing. It does get a nice little yellow flower on it in late spring...but not worth having in the garden in my opinion. Did I mention it has taken over what little lawn I have left? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

FYI..ttp://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortisc ... eepjen.htm
murphy

Postby Sheikea » May 14, 2008 12:18 pm

Oh thank heavens you told me.I just got rid of a overwhelming ordamental grass the one with stipes its terrible for that as well..Took me three hours to dig it out.GRRRR!..HEHE so i feel the frustration you feel..Hugs :D
Sheikea

Postby Melroche » May 14, 2008 4:20 pm

L.A. Hybrid Lily "Garrit Zalm" (lime green & fragrant)
O.T. Hybrid Lily "Purple Prince"
Echinacea "Fragrant Angel" (wow@!!)
Echinacea "Jade"
Echinacea "Coconut Lime"
Echinacea "Double Decker"
Peony "Green Halo" (should flower this year - I'll post pics)
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Postby murphy » May 14, 2008 5:25 pm

I have to get to a garden center and look for that coconut lime cone flower....It is on my list of MUST HAVES :lol: :lol:
murphy

Next

Return to Plant Talk