Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

HELP! I need to identify this plant

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby butterfly » May 14, 2008 10:22 am

patty wrote:I guess I should have added dumbcane (dieffenbachia). I'm pretty sure this is the same. Here is a pic from plant images. No?

http://tinyurl.com/5bwyda

Patty

I have the dumbcane and it looks like your pic. However the pic does not look like her plant

The Dumbcane grows very tall and does not grow new leaves attached to older leaves as in her pic

I think her plant is in the same family tho
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby bluebird » May 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi BF,

No, not in the same family...

Dieffenbachia is in Aracea and Episcia is in Gesneriaceae...so not related.

But I'm sure it is a variety of Epicia cupreata...we've got the genus and species ID'd so far, but just need the 'variety'....
:wink:
bluebird

Postby patty » May 14, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm so sorry for giving you the wrong identity hughjass. I did think it was a dumbcane that was getting very low light; but now that I have more light myself, I see it isn't :oops: lol! I wouldn't have been able to ID it though, so good thing Northpine was able to, followed by confirmations from the other posters. WTG ladies.:)
patty

Postby HughJass » May 14, 2008 10:22 pm

No problem Patty, I was going to message you and say "I don't think its a dieffenbachia, it doesn't look at all like those" but thanks to Northpine, and to bluebird for posting that pic, it is exactly like mine!

bluebird, where did you find that pic? I have just been searching Episcia cupreata on Google and I can't find the exact same plant as mine as the photo you have.

Glad you like my name Venice! I use it on most forums to lighten things up. he he he :D
HughJass

Postby bluebird » May 15, 2008 12:57 pm

I knew it was some variety of Episcia, but I didn't know exactly which kind. I did a Google Image search and found a pic of that one. Unfortunately it didn't include the name of the exact variety it was. :cry: It is somewhere in Google Images pretty far in! I didn't bookmark it though...there wasn't any other info on the site where it was, in fact it was all in a foreign language-lol.

I also looked through my big Exotica reference book here and the particular species name is cupreata for sure as noted by Northpine, so at least we got that far!

It must be a very special plant for you. I have a couple special ones here so I know how you feel about it; a hoya and a Rex Begonia that have been in my family for a couple of generations now. Those handed down plants just are so precious!
bluebird

Right on

Postby DMG » May 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Right on Bluebird. Dieffenbachia I have, and never saw a flower yet. But your match on the Episcia is perfect.DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Previous

Return to Plant Talk