Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

First All Nighter

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

First All Nighter

Postby Lindamct » May 14, 2008 1:32 pm

My little babies in their flats did very well, with a clear plastic tent over top. :D . Out low at night is going to be only 5C for the next several days. I have planted some already under their own little clear hot caps; Datura, Clarkia, Candytuft and Red Leaf Castor Bean. Just dying to plant my petunias, and Love Lies BLeeding :)
Lindamct

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 14, 2008 4:13 pm

I have planted the petunias in railing boxes, and threatened them harshly. It goes down to 5, to 8, here at night too. They don't have plastic rain coats either.

I have been out working in rain, in dripping branches/bushes/roses, etc...and in heavy fog.

I begin to worry about my sanity.
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Catherine » May 14, 2008 4:20 pm

Hey Liz - yer sanity is fine, girl. Just make sure you keep yer limbs and finger warm and you'll be all right. This is a nice kind of madness we gardeners endure.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby patty » May 14, 2008 4:30 pm

I've had my babies staying out at night, (other then the annual tropical like vines, and lisianthus) for the past few days, with nighttime temps of 5 and they seem to be loving it! They are, however, right up against the west side of the house with three brugs standing in front sheltering them.

Liz..I love gardening in the rain.
patty

Postby Lizcordysmum » May 14, 2008 5:12 pm

Patty, will you please come and be my garden slave? I pay slave wages!

Cath...and Patty too...I was cold, and wet, and miserable...gardening gloves lying on bench (on porch) beside petunias to be transplanted...put them on, soaking wet, icy cold...took them off, came in and warmed and washed/dried hands...out back door to potting shed for new garden gloves.

Planted tunias...went around shaking rainwater (raindrops my aunt nellie!) off the roses, and those overhanging tree branches (NOT MINE) that I could reach...shook rainwater off tulips, wore Holey Shoes with socks thru long grass (sopping wet) and finally came indoors to moan to everyone...and the fog rolled in.

IF the weatherb*st*rd didn't lie again, tomorrow I will transplant tomatoes to those pails.

AND see...there's Patty with her brugs outside and I KNOW mine will freeze to death if I try...dang it to heck!
Cordy's Mum, Liz
Rain Coast, BC Zone 7b/8a

Nae words, nae quarrel
Lizcordysmum

Postby Northpine » May 14, 2008 11:12 pm

I'm trying to have the courage to leave a bunch of stuff in the sunroom tonight for the first time.

It was a very nice day today, but the forecast says a low of 4C tonight. I'm having a hard time believing it will go that low. Trouble with the sunroom though, it will be the same temperature as outside. But I'm so tired of bringing them back in and out.
Northpine

Postby Hushypuppy » May 14, 2008 11:44 pm

Ah yes bring em out..bring em in...in out in out in out...it is like a really bad 80's dance (Think chicken dance poka)
I have left most of my babies outside in the portable green house since Saturday. Picked the portable up for 15.00$ at the Crappy Tire in February. I looked very cute on the subway with it, but hey a dollar saved is a dollar earned.
So far everyone is happy...
I am thinking of doing at least some planting this weekend. At least the cheap stuff that can easily be replaced in case of disaster. I need to get the MG's in before they completely take over, as they are now about 3 feet long....next year I am starting later...I do not care what the packages say...

Ciao

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Lindamct » May 15, 2008 8:57 am

Hushpuppy, I keep pinching my Morning Glories. I started mine early because I wanted earlier blooms. They have gotten fuller because of this too. I see the beginnings of some flower buds which makes me happy :)
Lindamct

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 15, 2008 10:57 am

Ah yes, the sunroom comes in handy for more than just sitting around drinking coffee. Bedding out plants can sit in there until the confidence level is such that their final place in the garden is ready for them.
Otherwise it is like Hushpuppy says ... out,in, in, out, in, out. Course this scenario also includes...shoes on, off, on, off. LOL.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 15, 2008 11:36 am

I've got a number of things outside now and they are out for good. I have many more that are coming up from the basement tonight. They will stay in the north patio window for several days and then start making daytime trips to the great outdoors. In about a week they will be moved to the outdoor plastic greenhouse permanently.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Next

Return to Plant Talk