Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Woody and hollow asparagus

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Woody and hollow asparagus

Postby Marlene2 » May 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi - I just picked three of my asparagus and they are woody and sort of hollow inside. They were about 6 to 7" high and not very thick. Does anyone know what may cause this? This is the year that we should be able to take them off for about 6 - 8 weeks. :(
Marlene2

Postby Eeyore » May 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I don't know much about asparagus except that it needs really good soil. Is it possible it didn't get enough water?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Catherine » May 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey Marlene2 - welcome. I know nothing about asparagus other than steam lightly and enjoy. Ron might know something.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Sheikea » May 15, 2008 9:45 am

This i do know most times if its woody and hollow its old but in you r case I believe it needs lots of water almost like a watermelon or cucumber.Not enought water equals yucky veggies.Oh Strawberries will get icky and not to big almost old like as well without enough water. :)
Sheikea

Postby MareE » May 15, 2008 11:36 am

Hey there, Marlene!

Never having had a Sun-filled garden panting for 3-year cycle of Asparagus growing, for sure you missed the picking date if wooden and hollow.

I am grieving with you and next year I'll supply the butter and salt unless Skeikea, Cath and Lyn beat me to it. laffs

Provided also will be how to eat Asparagus. No knives involved.

MareE;o}.
MareE

Return to Plant Talk