Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Hanging Petunias

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Hanging Petunias

Postby packrat79 » May 15, 2008 1:18 pm

I made a previous post regarding ideas for hanging baskets, but didn't get much help, so this time I'll be a bit more specific. I'm buying some 10" hanging pots, and I'm planning to fill them primarily with Wave series Petunias. My question is quite simple; how many Wave Petunia plants should there be to each 10" pot? Is just one plant per pot enough? Is there room for anything else?
Thanks.
packrat79

Postby Lindamct » May 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Packrat, I did those last year in my 10 inch baskets. All it took was one, and it filled beautifully and trailed nicely. I think it was someone on here, who told me 1 was enough, and it certainly was :)
Lindamct

Postby packrat79 » May 15, 2008 6:34 pm

That will certainly make my stock of plants go further, since I have about 15 each blue and purple. I thought I might put on of each in some pots, just for visual effect. And what about Merlin Blue Petunias? I've heard they make good hanging baskets too.
packrat79

Postby butterfly » May 15, 2008 8:29 pm

One was enough for me too

They spread out and fill out so nicely
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby Hushypuppy » May 16, 2008 8:07 am

After failing miserably for 3 years straight with wave petunias, I did it again this year...I know SUCKER...but they are so nice. The problem for me is that they get sticky by August. But I think I finally know what the problem is...I put way too many in my containers. So yes I think one plant is enough per basket.
PS I think they need lots of water so make sure you can easily reach you baskets..
Best of luck

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Sheikea » May 16, 2008 10:25 am

you could put one of each colour in it and still have lots of room for them both.you couldas they grow intertwine them and give a beautiful display of colour.Sorry I did not see your psot before.I do my own baskets all the time. :D
Sheikea

Return to Plant Talk