Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Things I have bought to plant this long weekend..add yours

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby murphy » May 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Question for the GTA folks....are you really planting all your stuff this weekend even in light of the fact it will be so cool at night still...for the next couple of weeks anyway. I am a bit worried about he castor beans and morning glories and peppers not liking the 2 degree night temps that seem to be in the forcast....am I being a wimp....but I have spent over $200 in the past week and just don't want to wake up to everything zapped by a frost.
murphy

Postby countrychic » May 16, 2008 2:33 pm

My weather report in my area of the GTA is at the most a low of 7 at night. And no frost at all. Also my yard is very sheltered, with walls and trees. It can be a windy blustery day outside, but in my garden not a breeze, lol.
countrychic

Postby MareE » May 17, 2008 6:01 am

Ummm...I'm erring on the side of caution. That doesn't sound right. Anyhoo, not planting anything out till next weekend up to mid-June. Admittedly, I'm a chronic procrastinor, but not when it comes to causing death to plantlets just cuz calendar sez it's Victoria Day, Full Moon, long weekend and traditionally the time to plant things that aren't cool weather good sports.

Damn climate change has gardeners reeling with anxiety attacks.

Ooops. Speaking for myself, of course. chuckles

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby countrychic » May 17, 2008 9:43 am

For my yard, I am already procrastinating by a week. Usually I have everything in by this holiday, except annuals. By the time June comes around, whatever I didn't get around to doing is too late anyway. There just isn't enough warm months for my stuff to grow to its full potential. By July it is so hot, my perennials seem to stop growing.
Last year I waited for the tomatoes, and they took ages to ripen, only eating them by Fall, when no one felt like eating salads anymore, lol
countrychic

Postby evepet » May 17, 2008 10:04 am

GardenGeek wrote:I am heading to the nursery tomorrow. I am getting excited by reading your lists.

The best part is that my hubby has to work on Saturday - so he can't reel me in. It's me - alone - in the nursery.

Oh - I just scared myself :)

LOL. I know the feeling well. Before I moved to Peterborough, ON, I lived in a small town (close to Belleville)... everytime I walked to my local Independent Grocery store which was only about a 10 minute walk away, I walked right by Canadian Tire... you can imagine the number of times I was in the CT Garden Centre during gardening season! And the Independent also had it's own garden centre. Plus Zeller's was within easy walking distance, and they had a garden centre area too. Heavenly! (If hard on the wallet). :) It's not so convenient in my new location - actually have to travel to get to a Garden Centre, but it's probably a good thing. LOL.
evepet

Postby evepet » May 17, 2008 10:15 am

Murphy wrote:Question for the GTA folks....are you really planting all your stuff this weekend even in light of the fact it will be so cool at night still...for the next couple of weeks anyway. I am a bit worried about he castor beans and morning glories and peppers not liking the 2 degree night temps that seem to be in the forcast....am I being a wimp....but I have spent over $200 in the past week and just don't want to wake up to everything zapped by a frost.

I'm feeling the same - I'm in Peterborough. I've been dutifully doing the in/out/in/out routine for almost 2 weeks now. But when I put my plants out this am and realized how chilly the morning wind was, I started wondering whether it's really prudent to plant everything outside quite yet. This year I'm a balcony gardener, so everything is 'container-oriented' and COULD be moved back inside at night in a pinch (like I've already been doing)... but it's a hassle! And some of the 'final transplant' containers are too big to move easily, so those seedlings would be subject to the overnight temps. I could cover them with plastic bowls, etc., but I think I'm just going to wait until next weekend for the 'final transplant'. After all - next weekend is the May 24th weekend... I've babied these seedlings along for more than a month now and I want to make sure they're safe! IMO better safe than sorry.
evepet

Postby dj_backq » May 17, 2008 10:30 am

Too early for tomatoes and peppers even in GTA, but that's just my thoughts. At least 3 weeks after last frost date, which is May 9th for GTA, meaning they should not go in before another 2 weeks.

Putting them earlier won't mean bigger crops. If you shock them they will yield smaller crops then ones planted 2 weeks later.

Andre
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby MareE » May 17, 2008 10:56 am

Agree with you to an extent, Andre. Every year is different somehow. 2002 I planted out Toms and scurried out in nightgown and flip flops securing the young Toms with bedsheets and bricks against an unexpected visit of chilling cold rain in dead of night. They died, poor things, the Toms. But I had a back-up force that went in early June and they were harvestable on almost same date as the drowned ones.

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby murphy » May 18, 2008 4:22 pm

Now I am more than a bit worried...I checked the forcast for the week and it said it would go no lower than 5 so I thought I would be brave and plant out some of my annuals...made up lanters, and planted some directly into the beds as I added topsoil and mulch and divided and transplanted some hosta and ferns....Went and got three more flats of plants today and a stunning hanging basket....NOW they are saying it will be 2 tonight....I have dragged everything that is not planted in...covered the big pots with tomato cages with garbage bags tented over them....and hoping for the best. Not realy much I can do for the King Kong Coleus I already planted as they are so big it will be hard to cover them with what I have. This really kind of sucks. :(
murphy

Postby Pepper » May 18, 2008 6:56 pm

I'm feeling your pain Murphy...I couldn't wait any longer and this morning planted the first annuals (gazannias, zinnias) and now I wish I hadn't considering how cold it's to get tonight...grrrr...I'm almost considering digging them back up, putting them back in the flats and bringing them inside...
Zone 5A
Pepper

PreviousNext

Return to Plant Talk