Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Things I have bought to plant this long weekend..add yours

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Meggylou » May 18, 2008 7:37 pm

we're supposed to get frost tonight.
Yesterday I purchased some plastic plant tents (dome shaped).
My geraniums that have been out for two weeks now and under one outside to keep out of this sudden cold snap.
I have 3 more but the plants I bought today can stay in my suburban overnight, it'll stay warm enough.
We bought
heirloom tomatoes (no idea, wildcard plant lol)
marjoram, thyme, parsley, basil, and some others, can't remember
double impatiens
single begonias
kong coleus
1 lupin
2 jalapeno
4 peppers...don't remember what kind lol
2 kinds of cucumber
2 fuschias....they're so tiny and I love them!
don't remember what else but I sure got a lot!
gotta love canadian tire money lol!!!
Meggylou

Postby murphy » May 18, 2008 7:56 pm

the Canadian Tire near me has really gone off in the past two years...they used to have great plants. It seems like they hire 16 year old kids to work there and nobody bothers to water anything...I mentioned to the girl working on Friday when I was there that an entire rack of about fourty hanging baskets were about dead and need water asap...she looked at me like I was green with an antenna...giggled and said..."oh yeah sure mam"...there was a hose out leaking water all over the floor of the green house...but she stepped over it and went to stand behind the cash and pick at her nails....I guess they aren't paying her enough to actually do any work at work. I got three huge King Kong coleus there though and a nice healthy bushy basil

I was at a local greenhouse today and got two of the cutest little fuschias I have ever seen...and some black midnight salvia, one sweet pink zinnia, some Swedish ivy an some other annuals I have never tried before. I have spent a ridiculous amount this year on annuals...I have to show some self control.
murphy

Postby haili » May 19, 2008 6:38 am

My mothers day plants spent the night in the house! The rest were shoved under the tree last night and will be left there until it warms up. It seems like a long cool spring this year.
haili

Postby Pepper » May 19, 2008 7:31 am

Hallelujah I think those tender annuals lived through the night! :D

That was close though - our weather station showed a low of 2 with a wind chill of 0, so I'm happy they made it.

Looking at the forecast for the remainder of the week, I'm so glad I didn't plant my vegetable garden or any more of my annuals....this spring weather is wreaking havoc on my emotional stability :lol: I swear I woke up several times through the night and checked the temperature...
Zone 5A
Pepper

I'm glad things look ok...

Postby evepet » May 19, 2008 9:06 am

Pepper wrote:Hallelujah I think those tender annuals lived through the night! :D

That was close though - our weather station showed a low of 2 with a wind chill of 0, so I'm happy they made it.

Looking at the forecast for the remainder of the week, I'm so glad I didn't plant my vegetable garden or any more of my annuals....this spring weather is wreaking havoc on my emotional stability :lol: I swear I woke up several times through the night and checked the temperature...

It sure has been a cold, wet, windy weekend so far. The weather makes me feel slightly schizophrenic.... do I? don't I? should I? shouldn't I? LOL.
evepet

Postby haili » May 19, 2008 12:24 pm

On top of all the cold weather, the squirrels dug up some of my new plants. Out I went with the cayenne. If the plants survive - they will be tough!
haili

Postby countrychic » May 20, 2008 3:05 pm

So after all my brave talk about how I am going to put my veggies in, and they will make it...I decided to heed caution and listen to your advice. And I am so glad I did. I brought my unplanted veggies inside for the weekend, and good thing I did, the cucumber was looking a little sad, but has recovered. We even had ice pellets here on Saturday! Surprisingly my strawberries made it through too, this will be their 3rd year. I kept on checking on them thinking they were a gonna.

So maybe this weekend??? Are we planting???
countrychic

Postby murphy » May 20, 2008 4:51 pm

still a cold whipping wind here today...the morning glories I planted out died...the dahlia I put in the big container is wilted...and my front hall is still full of plants that should have been planted out by now...It is enough to make me give up :cry:
murphy

Previous

Return to Plant Talk