Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Tomato's Peppers What To Do?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Tomato's Peppers What To Do?

Postby Hushypuppy » May 16, 2008 8:02 am

I confess I do not grow vegetables.. This is the domain of my Italian FIL who plants a huge garden every year. He has the works. However last Wednesday he gave me 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 pepper plants.
A little background:
I married into this large and all Sicilian family, and let's just say it's been interesting (very polite word)
So in the interest of family relations I would like A)Not to kill these poor vegetables and B) possibly get some tomatoes and peppers.
So I ask you, you know who you are, fourmites with the 5 foot tomatoes in May grown from seed, what do I do?

Can I put these plants in with the flowers?
Should I put them in containers? If so will they all fit in one really big pot or do I have to seperate tomatoes and peppers?
Can I plant in vermiculite, sheep poop, and earth (My usual growing mix)
Full sun?
Do I have to stake these things, or do I need the cages?
Any suggestions are welcome...

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 16, 2008 8:11 am

One of my brothers married into a very similar situation. Grandpa Vito had a backyard the size of a postage stamp but had crops in every inch of it. The pressure to go along with tradition is subtle but intense.

If I were you, I would stay away from planting them in containers as they require more frequent watering in that setting and it is too easy to leach out the necessary nutrients. No point in putting yourself in harm's way.

In this circumstance I would ask FIL to come over and show you how to plant and tell you what to feed them. If you are going to get into the vegetable growing business you might as well learn from the best.

I'm sure others will have additional ideas.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby MareE » May 16, 2008 8:47 am

Laffs Trish. Grandpa Vito? I totally 100% agree with Trish, Hushpuppy. Nothing to add but envy of your FIL's generosity. I want a Sicilian FIL now. Are they available on eBay?

MareE;o}
MareE

Postby Catherine » May 16, 2008 9:10 am

Laff. One of my daughters used to date an Italian fellow in Montreal. When visiting I was in awe of the gardens in their hood. Every inch of those tiny tiny plots was stuffed with the most gorgeous veggies. And grapes. And herbs. I agree with asking FIL to come over and give advice.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby Venice » May 16, 2008 9:25 am

I always put my tomatoes in huge black pots (that tree's come in). I fill half with manure, then mix topsoil and potting soil for the rest of it.

You do have to water daily, sometimes twice. If you let the soil dry out too much in between you get splits in your fruit. This year I'm going to put a soaker or drip hose around the plants so I don't have to worry as much.

But ya I'd ask him, nothing gardeners love more then sharing their knowledge and love of plants. It'd be a nice 'bonding' subject for you guys, gives you something to talk about.

We have a neighbor who I don't talk to too much, but he planted his first veggies last year, so he's constantly been picking my brain and asking stuff. So it gives us something we can talk about, and it's cute seeing him get all excited about his seedlings hahaha.

Ven
Venice

Welcome to Veg Gardening 101...

Postby evepet » May 16, 2008 9:44 am

nice to meet another novice gardener. I actually agree with the others who suggest you turn to your FIL for assistance. He's obviously an expert, and his giving you the plants proves that he's interested in getting you involved in gardening. You might as well learn from an expert and strengthen family relations at the same time! In the meantime, you've probably already picked up enough general gardening info from this site to ask him some intelligent questions. Good luck. :D
evepet

Postby countrychic » May 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Both the tomatoes and the peppers should be placed in full sun. You could put them in your flower bed too, no reason why not. Or make a new patch for them, space the veggies a foot apart. I just use manure for my veggie patch and they love it. Grab those pyramid tomato cages at CT for $1 each. And away you go, they should be fine all summer. Remember to water. Enjoy.
countrychic

Postby countrychic » May 16, 2008 2:52 pm

Oh the other tip I forgot to mention: When the tomato plant starts to grow, as it branches out, make sure to nip off the extra little sideshoots that grow in the 'V' of each branch. This way your plant will grow strong and abundant with fruit.
countrychic

Postby Hushypuppy » May 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Okay tomomorrow I plant everything...and yes I would ask my FIL but me thinks this might me a throw down....a challenge...."ehh so she can growa di flowers..we no can eatta da flowers...can she growwa di tomato, di peppers ehhhh....we seeeeeeee...."
Upon closer examination today I noticed that his little basket contained 2 tomato plants, 2 pepper plants, and a UVM....that last one would be Unidentified Vegitable Matter. A long stringy green thing with a leafy head. This is a deliberate attempt to make me look like an idiot folks...I could ask but then the answer would " Whatta you no know whatta dat is...you fonny...insert much giggling"
Husband was questioned but he claims to be ignorant. I will post a picture of the UVM tomorrow in the hopes that my posse can tell me what the H&$$ it is.
My FIL has a 40 foot by 20 foot garden filled with veg. There is a one foot by 40 strip of grass that is home to a pear and apple tree, and that is his yard. Last year he ran out of space so he planted the zuccini in the front yard, right next to the driveway. He had a bumper crop. One was 8 feet long. They have contests here for longest zuccini, my husband wanted to enter him but he refused "I no wanna all a dem looka at my garden" He must have some secret weapon he is using that must remain top secret....

Ciao

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby countrychic » May 17, 2008 9:31 am

Having a good laugh here! lol :lol:
countrychic

Next

Return to Plant Talk