Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Tomato's Peppers What To Do?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby dj_backq » May 17, 2008 11:05 am

Two things I learned quickly in life:

1. Never argue about anything with a woman
2. Never argue about food with Italians

Good luck with these plants! These would be the tips I follow and it works well:

1. Work the ground 2'x2' and about 12" deep for each plant
2. Work in 2 inches of compost and 2 inches of composted chicken manure. (cow or sheep is also good)
3. Harden off your plants, and don't plant to soon.
4. Just before planting, water thoroughly the ground where you intent to plant.
5. Remove the plants from the pots and pick off a few of the bottow roots to encourage new root growth in the fresh soil.
6. Then dig a hole and bury the plant deep. The bottom leaves should be 2 inches of the ground.
7. Water the plants right after planting them, do not wait more then 5min.
8. Water with fish emulsion every two weeks and water with Epsom salt every other week.
9. Stake them to give them extra support. Insert stakes early to avoid disturbing to much roots.

Some other tips:

- I use plastic mulch around my tomatoes, peppers and cuecombers, they like the extra warmth and it keeps them weed free.
- When I remove the "suckers" off the plants, I stick them in the ground next to the orignal plant. They will grow roots and will get a few extra tomatoes out of them!
- Plant some basils next to your tomatoes, they love each other. Italians are strong advocates of this technique. The basil improves the taste of the tomatoes. Your familly in law will be impressed!!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby butterfly » May 17, 2008 8:37 pm

dj_backq wrote:Two things I learned quickly in life:

1. Never argue about anything with a woman
2. Never argue about food with Italians

Good luck with these plants! These would be the tips I follow and it works well:

1. Work the ground 2'x2' and about 12" deep for each plant
2. Work in 2 inches of compost and 2 inches of composted chicken manure. (cow or sheep is also good)
3. Harden off your plants, and don't plant to soon.
4. Just before planting, water thoroughly the ground where you intent to plant.
5. Remove the plants from the pots and pick off a few of the bottow roots to encourage new root growth in the fresh soil.
6. Then dig a hole and bury the plant deep. The bottom leaves should be 2 inches of the ground.
7. Water the plants right after planting them, do not wait more then 5min.
8. Water with fish emulsion every two weeks and water with Epsom salt every other week.
9. Stake them to give them extra support. Insert stakes early to avoid disturbing to much roots.

Some other tips:

- I use plastic mulch around my tomatoes, peppers and cuecombers, they like the extra warmth and it keeps them weed free.
- When I remove the "suckers" off the plants, I stick them in the ground next to the orignal plant. They will grow roots and will get a few extra tomatoes out of them!
- Plant some basils next to your tomatoes, they love each other. Italians are strong advocates of this technique. The basil improves the taste of the tomatoes. Your familly in law will be impressed!!

Andre
I put straw between my veggie rows and around my plants. No weeding but water can still get through and no mill dew

then I add more in the Fall with manure

best looking soil you ever saw. rich, loose and fuffy Straw breaks down nicely
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby dj_backq » May 17, 2008 11:26 pm

That's what I do with my other veggies, straw or pine needle. :)

I only use plastic on tomatoes, peppers and cuecombers, mainly because they love the heat it creates. They still get enough water.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby OGrubber » May 18, 2008 8:44 am

Hushypuppy wrote:.......a challenge...."ehh so she can growa di flowers..we no can eatta da flowers...can she growwa di tomato, di peppers ehhhh....we seeeeeeee...."

Ciao

Kris

Laf!!!

Don't forget to post a pic of that long stringy thing HP! Can't have your FIL win that challenge.

... um, speculating that it's a cole. One of either broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower or brussels sprouts - will have to wait and see.
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby Hushypuppy » May 18, 2008 7:28 pm

Drum roll please...the UVM is a very strange kind of cellery...much whiter than the average. I know this only because at the very bottom of it's box was a wee tag that said something in latin and then cellery underneath. I have planted everything in quite a large amount of sheep poop and veg soil. So far all looks good. I have put down some hay arround as I had some left from this spring. I planted some of my Basil arround the tomatoes (thanks Andre) and it makes a lovely display. I also added some oregano, and Italian parseley... I can see some pizza in my future if this goes well... I will let everyone know how I do with this. It should be interesting as this is my first veg experience. I think I am going to get some Roma Tomatoe plants and put those in some big pots that are currently housing my Canna and Dahlia which will be going out soon if the weather holds. We shall see. Thanks to everyone who helped..

Ciao

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Previous

Return to Plant Talk