Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

whohhoo free Peonies!!!

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

whohhoo free Peonies!!!

Postby Venice » May 16, 2008 2:35 pm

I just had a knock on the door, my neighbor is out in her yard (3 yards over but open with fence) and she's dividing her peonies. So she gave me and my other neighbor a big clump!!!

They're so pretty I've always admired them, so she said 'I know you liked them so here' she got them from a friend and have done really well. She still has a few big clumps. They're putting in a shed so she's moving a lot of her plants around.

I'll be giving her some of my Canna's this spring as well. I usually give, well loan really, some out to about 5 of my neighbors, and this year I have plenty to spare. I say loan because I give them on the condition I can dig them up in the fall hahaha. I know they'll just leave them and then we'll run out. So I give them to them, then I dig them up, store them and get them started in pots, so they get new ones each spring with no effort, I and I get the babies, works well for all of us.

Now back to the weedin.....

Ven
Venice

Postby kelly_m » May 16, 2008 2:36 pm

Whoohoo!!! What a great price (and great neighbour!!!)

Kback to grass cutting...
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby PeonyFan » May 16, 2008 4:45 pm

Sooooo jealous! I ADORE peonies.
Enjoy!
PeonyFan

Postby Venice » May 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Well I went back out, and she's in a bit of a panic. They guy is coming to put in the shed today or tomorrow, right where her perennial garden is. They've been so busy getting tile and hardwood put in the house and now this.

So that's why she divided her peony. Then I was weeding and watching her try and dig up the other plants. She's a very petite lady and so is her daughter.

So I went over and helped her dig them up. Some we put in pots, some in the her side garden. They haven't dug the other garden yet, cause they're going to put a fence in, and the guys will be coming to dig the wholes for that so she had no where to put her plants in the meantime.

So I said well I've just weeded a lot of my beds and I'm not going to be planting my stuff till next weekend. so I can baby sit them for a week if you want. So we moved some stuff to my place, and then we dug some on her other neighbors who's yard is full of weeds, and won't notice a few plants ahahha. So then she said I could keep the ones they put in my yard. I don't where I'm going to put them!!!! Right now they're sitting my soon to be dahlia bed. But we'll see.

here's what they are

3 hollyhocks
1 hosta
1 peony
3 mystery plants
1 mystery white groundcover, that's in rough shape after drying to dig the dang thing out ahhaha.

We dug up about 20 plants, and now I'm tired, hot and sweaty hahaha.

sooooo I'm gonna go clean up the porch. It'll be good to get the hose out and wash the door and table and chair and all that. Nice and cool.

I'm wearing my knockoff crocks and they look fine, but my feet inside are black with dirt hahaha so I had to wear my shoes in the house 'cause I could just wipe them off. But my feet....well that's why I keep a pumice stone by the laundry sink :wink:

ohh I'm pooped. And theirs dishes to do and laundy ahhhh nice holiday weekend this is turning out to be hahhaa.

Gizmo was facinated by the entire digging process. Him and her too dogs were too eager to help and kept getting in the way, the lil buggers.

She still has two globe ceders to move, but I told her to get hubby to help with that hahaha. it's almost 5 so I doubt the guys are going to come today or if they do they won't get too much done. So they should have time to move the trees.

They have two big Rose of Sharon tree's they transplanted 2 years ago. They did ok the firs year, not much last year, and this year there's no sign off life, the branches break off and there's no green. So I said I think they're done, I'd pull them up and put the globe ceders there for now, since you know you've already got a whole.

We have such bad clay here it's a pain in the but to dig a decent size whole. Ohhh and to say nothing of the hill ehhehe we almost fell over a few times, trying to balance on the shovel on and angle ahahha.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ok I'll check back later.

Ven
Venice

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Venice, you are a lucky duck. Enjoy your new plants...and I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting them identified on this forum when you get around to posting pictures (maybe when they aren't quite so traumatized).

My neighbor is moving in a couple of months, so I will get some nice (free) plants as well...
DonnaZn2SK

Postby Hushypuppy » May 16, 2008 10:07 pm

Hey Venice those are all very good freebees...Some of my very favorites.. Don't give up on the peonies if they don't bloom this year or next. They really hate being transplanted. Just leave'em there and year 3 you should have some gorgeous flowers. I love Hollyhocks, they are just so darn beautiful...good luck!

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Melroche » May 17, 2008 6:06 pm

Wow...lucky you! Wish I had neighbours like that! I'm jealous! Happy gardening!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Return to Plant Talk