Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

What can I plant under a maple tree?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

What can I plant under a maple tree?

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 16, 2008 4:10 pm

I live in Kingston, Ontario, Zone 6 I believe. I have a mature crimson king maple tree with a large rock underneath it in the middle of the lawn. I would like to plant something under it but I have heard it is difficult to get plants to grow under maples. The diameter of the garden is about 4-5'. It gets a bit of sun, but I guess the canopy of the tree would shade it quite well too. Thanks for any suggestions!
whiteteeth1972

Postby B_BQ » May 16, 2008 5:07 pm

You could certainly try the tried and true favourite groundcovers:
Sweet Woodruff, Pachysandra, (Japanese Spurge), Lamium, Periwinkle, English Ivy, etc.
Or you could try some spreading junipers.
Or you could get a couple of nice big beautiful pots and fill them with annuals for colour.
Another thing you could do would be put down a thick carpet of bark chips.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 16, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for your suggestions BBQ. I really would like a bit of colour as my foundation garden is mostly shrubs. I might try the pots of annuals.
whiteteeth1972

Postby livilou » May 19, 2008 2:20 pm

Under my Norway Maple (very large) I have planted sweet woodruff, Perennial geraniums, Burning bush, Pieris 'Mountain Fire', solomon's seal, a climbing hydrangea (climbing up the trunk), a small full moon maple (chartruese leaves) , campanula glomerata, variegated hostas and lots of species tulips.
livilou

Postby thistle » May 19, 2008 7:42 pm

I have the same problem x two.I have tried all the same solutions mentioned here and now have the plants and pots of plants as suggested.
My D.H. installed soaker hoses for me and I sunk pots into the ground and planted them with shade lovers.The result is quite lovely and I am happy to have the shade on hot Summer days.
My advice would be to try to work with what you have, annoying and difficult as it may be,better that than falling out with your neighbors.
thistle

Return to Plant Talk