Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Grape hyacinth bulbs help

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

If I lived close by...

Postby evepet » May 18, 2008 6:52 pm

I'd gladly take some of your unwanted hyacinth bulbs off your hands. I think grape hyacinth would be very pretty.
evepet

Re: If I lived close by...

Postby Zozzle » May 18, 2008 6:58 pm

evepet wrote:I'd gladly take some of your unwanted hyacinth bulbs off your hands. I think grape hyacinth would be very pretty.

Let's see how I make out with 'em. We're the "ultimate" recyclers here and it doesn't please me to throw anything out. I've got a bag of the bulbs that we took out of the bed yesterday plus a compost heap infested with them.

I just Googled "compost sieve" and came up with this nifty gizmo. I'll be a sieving fool with one of these -

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/compost-sift ... -sieve.php

Let me see how many bulbs I can stockpile and maybe I'll ship 'em to ya.
Zozzle

Re: If I lived close by...

Postby evepet » May 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Zozzle wrote:
evepet wrote:I'd gladly take some of your unwanted hyacinth bulbs off your hands. I think grape hyacinth would be very pretty.

Let's see how I make out with 'em. We're the "ultimate" recyclers here and it doesn't please me to throw anything out. I've got a bag of the bulbs that we took out of the bed yesterday plus a compost heap infested with them.

I just Googled "compost sieve" and came up with this nifty gizmo. I'll be a sieving fool with one of these -

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/compost-sift ... -sieve.php

Let me see how many bulbs I can stockpile and maybe I'll ship 'em to ya.

Ok. That is a neat contraption - that 'sifter thing'. Should make the sieving job a lot easier. I totally understand if you end up replanting them in some other area of your garden. Like you, I just hate to see them wasted - or just thrown out! They are such a pretty, cheerful flower. If it does turn out you that want to get rid of some, I'd be happy to pay for shipping. Just let me know. One thing 'tho... I'm a condo dweller, so I'm limited to container gardening on my balcony (and inside of course). I've seen potted hyacinths, so I assume they'd grow ok in containers. If by some chance I end up with some of your bulbs would I still be able to plant them for this year? If it's too late for this year I'd need some advice as to how to best preserve/store them for next year. I just hope that somehow they are able to find a new home. :)
evepet

Previous

Return to Plant Talk