Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Green cabbageworms

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Green cabbageworms

Postby Joe Mota » May 17, 2008 11:38 pm

Does anyone know what brand name bacterial insecticide (btk) is sold under?My wife will not let me grow brocolli unless i fix the greenworms. Have had some success with Rotenone.
Joe
Joe Mota

Postby OGrubber » May 18, 2008 9:08 am

... or, she [you] could just wash it in salt water before cooking or storing.

Sorry, don't know the brand name, but I think you are looking for BT [bacillus thuringiensis].
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Postby dj_backq » May 18, 2008 9:25 am

OGrubber, do you use BT?

I know it's approved for organic growers, but many are reluctant to use it. What are your thoughts?
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby Joe Mota » May 18, 2008 9:34 am

You are correct. Actually she soaks in a salt solution ,then they float. But , she still spends hour picking them out. I just want to prevent the little darlings from multiplying.
Thanks
Joe Mota

Postby dj_backq » May 18, 2008 9:45 am

Also, if you use floating wrow covers, it should stop the adults from laying eggs on the plants.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby Durgan » May 18, 2008 11:14 am

About 30 years ago , I grew my first brocolli, and had to use so much "cides" that I wouldn't eat the produce. I never grew brocolli again, until the last three or four years. I am even suspicious of eating store bought brocolli, since I know it has to be sprayed if grown in large fields.

That white butterfly is a misery for sure. Now I only have about 12 plants and check daily and wash the eggs off with the hose. It is a pain, but at least I can eat the produce without the little worms crawling out.

I have contemplated row covers, but haven't seen anything practical. This year I got a net and will try to capture the the "misery", since I only get about 10 or so in the yard. An attempt anyway.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... 99-035.htm Fact sheet about his pest.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 18, 2008 10:16 pm

I don't like broccoli so it's easy to offer a solution....develop a taste for the worms heh, heh.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Euck....

Postby evepet » May 18, 2008 11:26 pm

Got to say that this thread is not making me want to eat a lot of broccoli... everytime I see it now I'll be thinking about these worms! :shock: I've never seen it grown, so wasn't aware it was prone to this problem.
evepet

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 19, 2008 12:51 am

I grew broccoli once, years ago...those green cabbage worms were gross; I don't even remember eating any of the broccoli I grew that summer. No matter how well I washed it, I could never get rid of all the worms...and the thought of INGESTING one of them critters gave me the heebeegeebees.

Same with onions, once the onion maggots got around to my garden, I stopped growing them too.
DonnaZn2SK

Postby OGrubber » May 19, 2008 8:25 am

dj_backq wrote:OGrubber, do you use BT?

I know it's approved for organic growers....

Yes, it's approved, but no, I don't use it. I don't use anything except DE and only that occasionaly.

I rely heavily on maintaining a balance between the "good" and the "bad" bugs, rotation, trap crops and hand picking. ... Which of course means I wash with salt water. laf!
Market Gardening - Just another day at the plant.
OGrubber

Next

Return to Plant Talk