Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

fern leaf [peony

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

fern leaf [peony

Postby Joe Mota » May 17, 2008 11:42 pm

Any luck out there moving a double fern leaf peony ? When etc ?Also any luck propagating a fernleaf peony
Joe Mota

Re: fern leaf [peony

Postby Durgan » May 18, 2008 11:21 am

Joe Mota wrote:Any luck out there moving a double fern leaf peony ? When etc ?Also any luck propagating a fernleaf peony

I have moved mine about three times, but I use a deep spade, and move the whole root system, when extremely wet or extremely dry so as to get the whole clump. I have observed that they are very slow growing, and it takes several years to get a filled in clump.

My neighbor had a beautiful clump in heavy clay and in part shade. They seemed to thrive. That is where I got my root stock. The clay was actually packed, and often dry during the summer. He had about 40 flowers every year.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Joe Mota » May 19, 2008 9:16 am

Thanks for the info. Mine are planted in full sun in a sandy loam and do quite well. I think you are correct in taking the whole root system if possible . I think I will try and propogate at hat time. I have seen them for sale in your area (Harpers ) for $100.00.
Joe Mota

Return to Plant Talk