Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Propagating Virginia Creeper

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Propagating Virginia Creeper

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 18, 2008 4:27 pm

I would like to cover my chainlink fence in this plant to give me more privacy. I would prefer not to buy anymore right now but try and root it from the ones I already have. I have dipped the cuttings in root stimulator and have planted them in some leftover soil from the hanging baskets I just bought and separated. Will this work? How long should it take before new roots form? I have them sitting on a window sill that doesn't get alot of direct sunlight. Is this okay or should I being doing something else? I may purchase more of it when the garden centres are clearing out if I am just wasting my time.
whiteteeth1972

Postby Catherine » May 18, 2008 5:20 pm

I have found Virginia Creeper easy to root. In water - or if you happen to throw a few pieces in the compost bin - or drop them on the ground when cleaning up. They don't seem to care. Why not put them in a bucket of water outside and see what happens. Or even stick a few pieces in the earth - without roots - and wait a bit. I'll bet they take off.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby butterfly » May 18, 2008 5:38 pm

I made my mistake putting pieces in the compost

before I knew it they rooted and took off.

A friend gave me a piece about 15 years ago. All we did was stick it in the ground.
I didn't see it until next year but Geees, although pretty in the fall it i so hard to keep tamed

It is now popping up everywhere
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 18, 2008 5:46 pm

I tried initially putting the cuttings in water but they just died. I had 3 that lived so I used the root hormone and planted them. I guess I will just wait and see what happens!
whiteteeth1972

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 18, 2008 5:53 pm

If you already have Virginia Creeper then you likely have a few runners on the ground. If so, carefully lift up on a runner & you will likely find that at some point along it's length that it has rooted to the ground. Snip it off past a leaf bud on both sides of the root then lift as you would any plant that you wish to transplant.
As Virginia creeper easily sends out vines 20ft. or more in length, it does not take many plants to cover a chain link fence.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Actually the plants were just planted last summer so I don't have any bits trailing on the ground. The few runners I do have I have trained to the fence. I will try this when the plant fills out a bit more.
whiteteeth1972

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 19, 2008 4:44 pm

Whiteteeth1972:

There is another way which is likely to be more successful than trying to get slips to root. Go to the last leaf node at the end of a vine. Bundle a handful of potting soil around it & tie it with piece of old nylon stocking.
Keep it moist & it will root. When it has... simply snip it off and plant it.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby murphy » May 19, 2008 5:22 pm

why try to root it...just come to my house and dig....it is rampant...I have no idea where it started or where it ends...it just is....and is everywhere...pretty in the fall though.
murphy

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 19, 2008 11:16 pm

Only if you have a warm sunny fall. In our area we have a real nice fall with bright red virginia creeper about once every 5 years. Cool fall & the leaves simply turn brown.
For a fast growing vine(self seeding annual) we once had wild cucumber.A lush leafy vine with a pastel yellow lilac type blossom in Sept. The vine reached 25 ft. in a single season.
Myrt had a pot wall at one time at the end of our deck 10ft.high. A framework which she filled with pots of every variety acquired from Goodwill. The outside of the framework was covered with lattice. The deck was 18" above the ground & the cucumber seeds were started there the first year & it continued to self seed there after.
It sure provided privacy but in time we tired of it & dismantled it in favor of railing around the deck & to heck with hiding from the neighbors LOL

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Plant Talk