Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Potatoes...from last year

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Potatoes...from last year

Postby Larkspur » May 18, 2008 4:54 pm

Just a crazy question before i throw them away....and don't ask why I still have them...lol...I still have potatoes from last year...the have at least 12 inches of growth shoots coming from them...are the still good to plant...and if so what should I do to prepare...and if not...thanks for your response....Larkspur
Larkspur

Postby kelly_m » May 18, 2008 5:41 pm

Brenda....absolutely, plant them!!!!

Although if the potatoe has more than one sprout you can cut them and plant each sprout!

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Larkspur » May 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Kelly...How far deep do I plant them and should I cut off some of the sprouts offtheir at least 12 inches tall
Larkspur

Postby B_BQ » May 19, 2008 4:48 am

Hi Larkspur:

As Kelly has said, cut the potatoes so that each piece has at least one 'eye'.

If you grow them in a large pot put about 8 inches of soil in the pot, then the potatoes, then cover with about 2 inches of soil. Wait until the leaves come up about 4 inches, add another 2 inches of soil, and keep on doing that until the leaves reach almost to the top, adding soil as the leaves grow. The potatoes will develop along the length of the root. And then just wait, usually until about the middle-to-end September, when the foliage starts to die down. That's when the spuds will be ready!

If you grow in the garden, the same technique will apply. Make a nice trench, about 6 - 7 inches deep, hilling up the soil on the side. Add potatoes, and, as they grow, just keep on pulling the soil from the hill back over most of the leaves, until all the soil you have pulled from the trench is now back over the potatoes.

~BBQ (another Brenda)
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby kelly_m » May 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Well Brenda (Larkspur!) seems Brenda (BBQ) has answered just fine!!LOL

Just remember as the summer goes on to continue hilling the potatoes...They go green if exposed...

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Return to Plant Talk