Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

I need help with my lawn

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

I need help with my lawn

Postby CatFish » May 18, 2008 5:45 pm

today i tried going out with my new weed puller that i got from Crappy Tire and it works great but i have so many weeds in my lawn it looked like my law was attacked by a gofer. Other than ripping out my entire front and back lawn, tilling the soil and getting new sod is there any other options. I was thinking about getting some compost and dressing my lawns with that and then trowing down some grass seed to help thicken it up. Will that help kill the weeds?
CatFish

Postby Venice » May 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Yes you could do that, or you can go to CT and get a roll of sod. Get out your trusty knife and cut lil patch sizes and stick them in and water them well. This would be a more time consuming, but would probably have faster results. Provided your yards not too big, that's what I think I'd do.

Just don't buy too much sod, they won't return it.

Ven
Venice

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 18, 2008 10:10 pm

This is why I like what looks like a minature root feeder. It's about a foot long & 3/16" dia. hollow tube with a hose connection on one end and the other end closed in to about a 1/16" dia. hole.
Hooked to the hose, you push it down into the ground right along side of the main stalk of the weed. The water jet washes in around the weed making it easy to just lift the weed out & the hole collapses in to the space vacated by the weed. Especially effective in cleaning out dandelions out of the lawn.
Course this brings you down & personal with the weed & my creaky old bones complain LOL.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby dj_backq » May 18, 2008 10:16 pm

I always resow my lawn in the spot where I pulled the weeds. Then I add pine needles. The pine needles acts as a mulch to prevent weed seeds from reaching the ground before my lawn seeds are up. If you don't resow these patches with either seeds or placing pieces of sod like Ven mentioned, weeds will find a way to come back.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Re: I need help with my lawn

Postby sunkeeper » May 18, 2008 10:47 pm

withdrawn
Scarborough,Ont. Zone 6A Lorraine
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn
sunkeeper

Postby Lindamct » May 19, 2008 9:01 am

I just may buy a roll of sod, and cut out the patches of crab grass :roll:
Lindamct

Lawn help

Postby Jeannie » May 19, 2008 3:18 pm

You cant put sod down ontop of an already growing lawn...even if weeds are what you have. The sod will not take root if there is obstruction in the way. It'd be like trying to grow sod ontop of a cement slab...it just wont work.

You have to give the sod something to send roots down into.

Before you go too far.....get rid of the weeds first, then decide hwo you want to get your lawn back.

You can go the RoundUp route....kill everything, wait a week or so, till up the lawn and plant either seed or sod.

Or, you can kill the weeds only....do the compost over the area to a depth of about 1/2" to 1" and then overseed with a good combo seed that befits the rest of the grass. Any good braodleafed weed killer (such as Killex) will rid the lawn of dandelions, and other broadleafed weeds and not harm native hardy grasses.

This method should be repeated every early spring for the next 3 or 4 years. The compost will put organic material into the soil and make the grass want to grow. Whether you add seed in other years is up to you but its always a good idea to try to improve the lushness of your lawn.
Its the best defence against attack of weeds.

Fertilize every spring with a high nitrogen type and repeat applications as you choose....but compost spread over the area can often take the place of fertilizer.
Jeannie

Postby Lindamct » May 19, 2008 3:50 pm

I am planning on digging deep, and lifting out clumps of crab grass. Adding new topsoil and then pieces of sod to fit the areas that need fixing. I would never put sod over existing lawn. Isn't sensible. I have tried over seeding, to choke out the crab grass to no avail, and I prefer not to use Round Up. However, thanks for the info.
Lindamct

Postby CatFish » May 19, 2008 11:31 pm

thanks for the suggestions....I think it will be a fruitless effort as the fellow up the street has a very pretty yellow flowered lawn becuase he is too lazy to mow them over. Ugh.....I think im going to try over seading and compost and digging out the big patches when they flower.

what a pretty kitty you have Lindamct....i have one just like it be he doesnt have a place to hide under...but he does blend in with the cedar fence and deck so he can hide real well when bird "watching"
CatFish

Postby Lindamct » May 20, 2008 12:18 pm

:) Thanks Catfish! He is a wonderful cat. He was a lame stray on 3 legs when he came hobbling up our driveway. I had him checked by the vet and fixed quite quickly thereafter. Loves going in the car with me. Sits right up on the console as if he is my navigator! I have him tethered in the shade nearby while a do my garden chores :)
Lindamct

Return to Plant Talk