Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Delphinium Disease

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Delphinium Disease

Postby Irish Tea Bag » May 19, 2008 9:57 am

While staking my young delphinium plants this weekend, I've noticed all have some sort of black, curled leaves on them. What's causing this? Can I treat the plants or does this mean the end of my small delphinum corner of my garden? :cry:
"I love time in my gardens...I can't hear the kids out here!"
Irish Tea Bag

Postby (old_user)earwig » May 19, 2008 12:50 pm

If it is Broad Mite, you may have a problem, but if it is Bacterial Blackspot, it is not serious. Click and take a look at this websiteDelphinium Disease it compares the two.

Here's hoping, delphinium are one of my favourite plants and luckily mine have always been healthy.
Betty
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished. ~Lao Tzu
(old_user)earwig

DELPHINIUM WORM

Postby The Novice » May 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Your plants likely have the delphinium worm. Mine get it every year and every year I spray them with Trounce. After spraying the worms die and all is well....never changes the blooms.

Lois Hole's Perennial Favourites reads that the worms appear in the spring, the leaves appear to be tied together, and your options include removing and destroying the worms, cutting off the affected parts of the plants, or using insecticide. The key is to get rid of the worms as soon as possible before flower buds are damaged.

Lois Hole's books are excellent resource books. I have been referring to them as I plant my new flower bed - for height information, planting preferences etc.
The Novice

Postby Melroche » May 19, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi,

The exact same thing happended to mine last year. It sounds like broad mite. Unfortunately your options are two fold...

1. rip them out and burn them.
2. try to treat them.

Mine all lived through the broad mite infection and are clean of it this year. This is what I found to treat it and it worked for me - do it as soon as possible if you're going to. And be sure to get underneath the leaves and on top...and in all the folds that the mites have made. If it is the same thing I have...you won't be able to see any bugs with the naked eye. They're far too small. You'll just see black in the buds and abit on the leaves that are all deformed and puckered.

Scotts EcoSense Ready to use Insecticide
Kills all stages of aphids, mites and whitefly. It does not contain PBO - but it's still an insecticide....

It's your choice. Good luck, I know it's a tough decision. All eight of mine had it last year. They're so beautiful though. That's the only advice I have to offer and others may not agree, but it worked for me.

Again, good luck and keep us posted.

Mel
You must be the change you wish to see in the world. by Mahatma Gandhi.
Melroche

Return to Plant Talk