Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

neighbor tree roots

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

neighbor tree roots

Postby RD » May 19, 2008 11:27 am

Our neighbour has two large spruce trees (about 30 to 40 feet high )
abutting our property The roots have spread many feet onto our property and have caused problems the garden shed right next to it has cement slabs that have risen out of ground and broken some of them
we are going to replace the shed but what to do about these unsighty roots
the neighbour has refused to help in any way
How can I destroy these roots on my property ??
thx
rd
RD

Postby haili » May 19, 2008 12:25 pm

I have the same problem with lilacs and manitoba maples. Just keep pulling the roots out and chopping them off. I don't think we can control what the neighbours plant.
haili

Postby RD » May 19, 2008 2:50 pm

thx for your reply
But these roots are enormus much too big to cut or pull up
rd
RD

Tree roots

Postby Jeannie » May 19, 2008 3:00 pm

RD, what would you have someone here tell you. You say the roots are big and I assume you think too big to cut.
So what do you want us to say; either cut the roots or live with them.

How far away from the tree is the offending roots?

If you were to go to the tree and measure up 4 1/2' up the trunk and there measure the diameter of the trunk.
Now multipy that figure times 3 and that tells you the number of feet out from the trunk it is quite safe to cut the roots.

The only problem lies in --if, as you say, the roots are big--and if you cut them on the one side of the fence, such cutting might upset the balance of the tree and cause it great harm. It might even cause the tree's balance to be affected and might cause it to lean over.
I doubt that though, if the tree is as big as you say it is, cutting a major root on one side isn't likely to cause the tree to fall down.

The roots are what feeds the tree. If you remove a large piece of roots that gives the tree sustenance, then you takes the chance the tree might be harmed greatly.

Its your choice.....cut the damn roots or live with them.
Jeannie

Postby Lindamct » May 19, 2008 3:05 pm

:lol: You could always move :lol: (just kidding) Couldn't resist :)
Lindamct

Re: neighbor tree roots

Postby butterfly » May 19, 2008 8:20 pm

RD wrote:Our neighbour has two large spruce trees (about 30 to 40 feet high )
abutting our property The roots have spread many feet onto our property and have caused problems the garden shed right next to it has cement slabs that have risen out of ground and broken some of them
we are going to replace the shed but what to do about these unsighty roots
the neighbour has refused to help in any way
How can I destroy these roots on my property ??
thx
rd

RD

Yes you will need to cut the roots with a power saw or hand saw. I sure would be

Don't worry about hurting he tree, I wouldn't, its not your tree. Plus it won't hurt the balance of the tree. its old enough it will get plenty of water and food from the other roots

If I were you I'd call the town office. I think they can force your neighbour to pay some of the cost

Good luck with it
Cheers Butterfly

Having a place to go - is a home. Having someone to love - is a family.
Having both - is a blessing."--Donna Hedges
butterfly

Postby dj_backq » May 19, 2008 8:45 pm

Like the others said, dig around it and use a saw to cut it off.

I don't think there is an alternative solution.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby GardenGeek » May 20, 2008 5:45 pm

I agree with the other posters.

If the neighbours have refused to help, they obviously don't care what happens to the tree.

Document the conversation you had with your neighbours where they indicated that it is not their problem and cut the roots all off your property. If the tree dies, then it's their problem - not yours. You tried.
Sheri

"My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view." ~H. Fred Ale
GardenGeek

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Is the floor made from those 2x3 concrete slabs you buy from Home Depot or is it actually poured?

If you are going to replace the shed I would suggest that you raise the floor up on 4x4's or something like that. Then they should be above the roots.

As for anywhere else in the yard, the only thing you can do is remove the roots as the other posters suggest. HOWEVER, before you do that talk to your town office and make sure that you are legally within your right to do so. You may well end up killing the tree. You may also cause it to lean and eventually fall, and it will fall on your property because the tree will have no support on that side.

Check into what you can legally do or what you can force your neighbour to do, and make sure you are aware of how it's going to affect both the tree and your relationship with your neighbour.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 20, 2008 7:25 pm

My sister used to live in Luseland, Sask. & that town is full of poplar trees. Her neighbor had planted a row of poplars down the property line between them keeping the trees one foot on his side of the property line.
It took 30 years but the roots from these trees eventually reached her basement wall 8 ft from the property line & 9 ft. from the tree.
The roots cracked her basement wall and shoved it in approx. 1/2" at the top of the wall(Joist support beam left sticking out this amount).
He too refused responsibility so she simply hired a guy with a backhoe & trenched right down the property line. Then had him chain saw off the roots & fill the trench back in. End of problem. The trees were still standing without any noticable damage 3 years later when she sold and moved into a senior's home.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Next

Return to Plant Talk