Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Creating The Perfect Soil

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Creating The Perfect Soil

Postby xkrfan » May 19, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi........new member with a question. I'm looking to plant 2 shrubs up at the cottage next week. problem is the soil is very sandy. Over the years I have been dumping leaves in the back 40 and yesterday walked out and dug down a bit to find a nice black compost substance. So I think I'm pretty clever and i will mix this with sandy soil and it should work? Question is what ratio of compost / sandy soil should I use. It is actually closer to sand than sandy soil. I've had some luck with perennials in the past by just digging holes in the stuff and filling with a planting mixture and some triple mix. These shrubs are coppertina and black lace so will eventually grow quite large. How big an area should i dig to fill with my compost/sandy soil mixture? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
xkrfan

Postby Ian » May 21, 2008 7:13 am

I would put at least 1/2 to 3/4 compost to sand. Since you have pure sand, the planting area should be fairly large.
The main thing to keep in mind is to always add a good layer of compost on top in following years to stop the soil below from reverting back to sand.

Ian
Ian

Return to Plant Talk