Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Maiden -hair fern

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Maiden -hair fern

Postby fern » May 19, 2008 8:52 pm

Hi there

I just discovered the forums today and have a question about my grocery store maidenhair fern. I think that's what it is called. I just had it on my kitchen table and within a week a lot of the leaves have dried up and seem to have tiny yellow swirls that fall off if scraped - at the edges. Can someone enligten me as to what is happening here?

I heard they like to be misted so I was spraying it with water each day in addition to watering them. Did not get direct sun, but when the door opens it does get a little chill probably owing to the cooler weather lately.

Happy to have feedback.
:shock:
fern

thanks

Postby fern » May 20, 2008 9:40 am

Thanks Daisy, feel a little discouraged, though I am going to forge ahead with it indoors since I don't believe they are hardy here.

I did do some research on them last night and it seems the little things are spores and when they fall, they generate new fronds. My dilemma was that the leaves were really dry.

So here is what I learnt:
- keep them in the same spot -they don't like to be moved. Indirect ligt okay- even a little morning sun.
- layer a dish with pebbles and cover with water. set the pot on top of the water and pebbles.
-
so I took off all the fronds with dried leaves and placed them on a watery pebbles. let's see what happens. I'll keep you posted :)
have a sunny day.
fern

Return to Plant Talk