Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Mulch

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Mulch

Postby Jane » May 19, 2008 10:31 pm

We had some poplar and cedar trees cut down a couple of weeks ago and they used their chipper so we have a lot of fresh mulch. Can someone tell me if you can use this now on the flower beds or do you have to wait until next year to use it. I was told by someone that it would strip the soil of nitrogen if I used it now but unfortunately I have already used it on one bed. Should I remove it? If I must wait for a period of time before using the mulch do you just leave it in a pile. The people that did the chipping told my husband not to leave it the pile for long because something would happen to it. Totally confused any info appreciated.
Jane

Postby dj_backq » May 19, 2008 10:56 pm

It would only strip the soil's nitrogen if you were to till it into your soil. If you leave it on top, I see no harm. Lot's of people buy it fresh directly from the mills around here.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Re: Mulch

Postby Durgan » May 20, 2008 6:03 am

Jane wrote:We had some poplar and cedar trees cut down a couple of weeks ago and they used their chipper so we have a lot of fresh mulch. Can someone tell me if you can use this now on the flower beds or do you have to wait until next year to use it. I was told by someone that it would strip the soil of nitrogen if I used it now but unfortunately I have already used it on one bed. Should I remove it? If I must wait for a period of time before using the mulch do you just leave it in a pile. The people that did the chipping told my husband not to leave it the pile for long because something would happen to it. Totally confused any info appreciated.

View this thread.

http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/ ... hp?t=10885

The mulch you have is perfect. I like wood chip mulch due to its ease of handling. If it is rotten i rototill it into the garden , and if too fresh I rake it off and re-use.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Jane » May 20, 2008 10:51 am

Durgan

What do you mean when you say if it is too fresh you rake it off. My mulch is from trees cut down a few weeks ago. Also you mention in your article that you sometimes rototill into the soil in the fall. I thought mulch remained on top of the soil and you just keep adding more each year as neccessary. I'm new to this mulch thing and need the info.
Jane

Postby dj_backq » May 20, 2008 12:02 pm

I just keep on adding on top. It eventually winds up in the soil anyways.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby Durgan » May 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Jane wrote:Durgan

What do you mean when you say if it is too fresh you rake it off. My mulch is from trees cut down a few weeks ago. Also you mention in your article that you sometimes rototill into the soil in the fall. I thought mulch remained on top of the soil and you just keep adding more each year as neccessary. I'm new to this mulch thing and need the info.

In the vegetable garden, to prepare the soil for planting, I rake the mulch off and reuse it next year. and if well rotted I rototill it into the soil. I simply leave it around the trees, and rhubarb and perennials in general.

I have access to good wood chips, so that is my choice for the time being.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Plant Talk