Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Is there a giant astilbe that grows in Haliburton Ontario

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Is there a giant astilbe that grows in Haliburton Ontario

Postby Kenisiscottager » May 20, 2008 6:43 pm

I have an astilbe like shrub growing across the hillside at my cottage. I believe it was planted to help secure the property. It is doing a great job as it is spreading like wildfire. It looks like an astilbe, with white feathery flowers in mid to late summer but it grows to 4-5 feet high. The bees and butterflies love them but they are crowding out the other trees and plants.I worry they are not native and will spread beyond my property. The stems have 13 leaves on them 6 per side and 1 on the end. I will forward a picture soon but in the meantime if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate your help. The local nurseries have not been able to help me as of yet.

Cheers
Kenisiscottager

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2008 6:51 pm

It is most likely Goatsbeard and the proper latin name escapes me at the moment! :oops:
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Puff10 » May 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Could this plant be "Philipendula"??
Puff10

Postby Venice » May 20, 2008 6:57 pm

I think your right Eeyore, I googled Goatsbeard and found this site.

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener ... runcus.htm

Goatsbeard, Aruncus dioicus, is a North American perennial with feathery plumes of cream colored flowers in late spring or summer. The arching plumes are densely covered with many small florets in 20-inch branched clusters, and resemble a large, airy Astilbe (to which goatsbeard is unrelated; Astilbe is in the saxifrage family while Aruncus is in the family Rosaceae).

Venice

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2008 10:32 pm

Thanks Ven. Yes, Aruncus is the proper name that I was trying to think of.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby murphy » May 21, 2008 7:21 am

they way she described that it "spread" made me think of flase spirea shrub...my goatsbeard doesn't really spread...it just gets taller each year.

http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/ ... false1.htm
murphy

Postby Eeyore » May 21, 2008 10:19 am

That'a a possibility as well.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk