Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Recommended books?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Recommended books?

Postby Ripley » May 20, 2008 6:44 pm

Hi Everyone.
I am in the interior of B.C. and I am looking to expand my knowledge on all plants. What is your favorite book on trees, perennials, shrubs etc.? Also, one of my specimen trees was attacked this winter by deer ( it was a Pagoda Dogwood ) so I need another small tree or large shrub to take its place. It is on the corner of the house - 5 feet to house, full sun - south facing( hot) and does not mind some wind, any suggestions? thanks guys. :D
Ripley

Postby livilou » May 21, 2008 2:20 pm

I recommend anything written by Marjorie Harris. She has specific likes and dislikes but more often than not I agree with her on choices. Another good reference texts are anything in the Taylor series. There are books on the best shrubs, trees, perennials. I always peruse the libraries as well especially over the winter. There are always a great selection of gardening/landscaping books.
Hope that helps
livilou

Postby Ruby » May 21, 2008 4:03 pm

The Garden Plant Encyclopedia (Hardcover) by Klaas T Noordhuis (Author), David Tomlinson (Author) is incredible.

Lots of info and goes into details on everything from soil ph to zones and beyond. It was written in 1998, so it doesnt contain all of the newer varieties of things, but, it has served me very well. Lots of beautiful pictures too! I got mine at Chapters several years ago, and I use it all the time!
Ruby

Postby Lindamct » May 21, 2008 4:14 pm

Anything written by Lois Hole offers gr8 simplistic pointers to successful gardening in all aspects :) Her writings are very easy to understand :)
Lindamct

Postby Durgan » May 21, 2008 6:52 pm

I find books a pain, since all the useful information can be gleaned from the internet these days regarding plants.

Do a google on the plant of interest and pick and choose the information that suits your prejudices. My view.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Island Dar » May 22, 2008 2:36 am

Here is a thread back in January that you might want to look at!!

http://www.canadiangardening.com/forum/ ... rite+books

I hope this url works! . . . . . Island Dar
Island Dar

Postby everchnginggrden » May 22, 2008 9:03 am

For trees and shrubs I like Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs. Also consider books by Pam Duthie.

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Return to Plant Talk