Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

A willow tree in Calgary?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

A willow tree in Calgary?

Postby Eeyore » May 20, 2008 6:50 pm

A friend of mine bought a Weeping Caragana last year and it did not survive the winter. She is thinking of replacing it with a Weeping Pussywillow. The location is an exposed north side and the tree is touted as Zone 4. It's also likely to be dry because she is on a hill and just about everything in Calgary is dry anyway! I'm not sure it's a good choice but she asked me to ask you guys! Any suggestions or input?

Thanks!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Durgan » May 20, 2008 6:59 pm

One time I picked up a Japanes person in Calgary at the Airport. This was his first visit to Canada. Driving to the City, I noticed him looking rather perplexed.

I asked him, "What's wrong".

His reply, "No trees".

I told him the buffalo ate them in the old days.
Last edited by Durgan on May 20, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 20, 2008 7:09 pm

A weeping willow will not survive in Calgary. If your friend wants a tree that weeps then the best bet is a weeping birch. We planted one in our back yard back about 1959 when we lived there. In 5 years it reached 15 ft. & survived my ignorance about trees. Being in the center of the back lawn which of course I fertilized & as I trotted by the tree with the spreader, thought a small handful around the base of the tree would be good. The next day when we got home from work the leaves of the tree were turning brown.
Stuck the garden hose at the base & let it run water for 3 days.
The leaves all fell off but doggone it , it sprouted a whole new set of foliage !!!! It was still green as mid-summer when winter arrived & I thought that would be the end of it. Not so, it carried on next year as tho nothing bad had ever happened to it.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Pansy » May 20, 2008 11:16 pm

My book says the Weeping Willow is only hardy to -15 C.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Postby Meggylou » May 21, 2008 12:02 am

that's kind of warm... My neighbour two doors down here in Sudbury planted a weeping willow when I was a toddler, it is now HUGE! and has been cut back at least once since.
We have gotten as cold as -50 during some winters.
In fact this tree has fond memories for me as my friends and I would climb it and even had a bucket way up high in the tree with little "club house" paraphernalia stashed away.
Meggylou

Postby Durgan » May 21, 2008 6:37 am

meggylou wrote:that's kind of warm... My neighbour two doors down here in Sudbury planted a weeping willow when I was a toddler, it is now HUGE! and has been cut back at least once since.
We have gotten as cold as -50 during some winters.
In fact this tree has fond memories for me as my friends and I would climb it and even had a bucket way up high in the tree with little "club house" paraphernalia stashed away.

Big difference between Calgary and Sudbury. Sudbury gets cold in the winter, and stays cold. Calgary can have rain, snow, hail bright sun and high temperatures all in one day. A difference of 30 degrees is not uncommon in a 24 hour period. Plants have real trouble coping with such violent short term temperature changes, particularly when in full growth.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Eeyore » May 21, 2008 10:17 am

Okay, so we are pretty well agreed that the willow won't work. My suggestion was that she try the Caragana again, Lee says Weeping birch. Are there any other ideas?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 21, 2008 7:13 pm

Lyn:

She might try the caragana again because maybe she over watered the one that failed. Caraganas' do not like too much water. If you drive along country roads where farmers have planted "madam caragana" for a wind break, you will notice that at every low spot in the field the caraganas' did not survive, leaving a gap in the windbreak.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Postby Eeyore » May 22, 2008 10:18 am

Thanks Lee! I wasn't aware of that, I will pass it on.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Return to Plant Talk