Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Trellis Systems

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Trellis Systems

Postby Durgan » May 21, 2008 9:26 am

Trellis Systems

http://xootae.notlong.com/ 21 May 2008 Trellis Systems

Various trellises are required throughout the garden.

My method is to utilize material from almost any hardware store; rebar, 4 by 8 concrete reinforcing mesh, fence posts, electrical plastic ties, and a bolt cutter tool for cutting the hard wire if required. The trellis is strong and extremely simple to produce. I paint the unfinished material on a plastic sheet with tremclad paint, and it lasts for many years.

For storage, the concrete reinforcing mesh is stored on pegs on the back of the shed, and the various posts are simply stacked in a five gallon pail behind the shed.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Meggylou » May 21, 2008 10:46 am

quite impressive!
One day I"d like to be able to have the space to do this too.
Meggylou

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 21, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi Durgan:

Sounds like you mean business re the trellis's. I like em too but being a woodworking hobbyist, I recycle wood for mine & at the prodding by Myrt each one has to be different plus lattice is a no no.

Lee
Attachments
Arbor.jpg
LeeInEdmonton

Postby dj_backq » May 21, 2008 7:10 pm

This is so funny Durgan, I was telling myself this morning that I should start a post to ask for ideas about buidling trellis at a reasonable cost! Like your ideas!!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby B_BQ » May 21, 2008 7:10 pm

Durgan: I do admire your hard work and innovative methods. Judging from your pics you are also very successful.
Hope your tomatoes have fared well. We've had unbelievably cold temperatures, but fortunately not freezing. My tomatoes are looking a bit forlorn but still OK. I have planted them deep and kept them very well watered with the Lee Valley spikes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Lee: Your arbors are quite beautiful. You obviously are talented. Are these for your own garden, or do you make them to sell?

~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Durgan » May 21, 2008 8:30 pm

LeeInEdmonton wrote:Hi Durgan:

Sounds like you mean business re the trellis's. I like em too but being a woodworking hobbyist, I recycle wood for mine & at the prodding by Myrt each one has to be different plus lattice is a no no.

Lee

Hey that isn't a trellis. That is pure art. Well done. I can't draw anything without a straight edge, and have a strong utilitarian bent. I get the job done and generally avoid the artistic side, much to the chagrin of my wife.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby dj_backq » May 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Lee, that is beautiful work! Real impressed here! Bet you could sell these for quite a sum!
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Postby LeeInEdmonton » May 23, 2008 3:19 pm

Durgan:

I guess the reason I like to "fool around" with would is because there
isn't much that can't be done with it. When ever wood is recycled it is a diversion from the landfill to hopefully something useful & in my case it means that the project has cost nothing except a little time.
A project's design is successful if other opinions are as complimentary as yours & Andre's. Thank you both.

Lee
LeeInEdmonton

Return to Plant Talk