Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

chameleon plant...does anybody know?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby thistle » May 21, 2008 6:56 pm

I planted this very pretty plant about 15 years ago and I have been trying to get rid of it ever since .It pops up everywhere,even after several bouts of Roundup,and digging an entire rock garden up to eradicate it.
I have the dreaded Goutweed in my garden,which believe it or not is extremely well behaved in it's present location. compared to Huotyana (sp) I much prefer it to that "other" monster!
Even if you leave the tiniest little piece in the soil it will sprout,it's reproduction is unbeleviable,never again!!!! I am VERY careful now as to what I plant.
thistle

Re: chameleon plant...does anybody know?

Postby Big Smile » May 21, 2008 8:14 pm

[quote="Daisy"]Hi,

I bought this plant the other day and I looked it up on the internet and it says it can be invasive. Have any of you guys experienced this plant and what should I watch out for.

[

Daisy, I have never , ever found this plant to be invasive. In fact I wish it would grow better. Its very slow to come in spring, its very pretty, I love it.
As for Goutweed, thats another story. When we moved 4 years ago a little bit came with a plant. Every spring I still find some in that plant but I pull it out right away so it dosen't have a chance to grow.
I don't want Goutweed on this property.

Clara
Big Smile

Postby Island Dar » May 22, 2008 2:29 am

Daisy, I too have chameleon in my garden and although it does pop up unexpectedly now and then, it has never taken over and like Clara I wish it would be a little more robust. Some years it has done better than others but never to the point of my wishing I had never planted it.
Happy Gardening. . . Dar
Island Dar

Postby keke » May 22, 2008 9:41 am

The plant is called Houttuynia. It is invasive here on the Wet Coast because what limits it is lack of water. If you keep it on the dry side it doesn't run (as much). Some people here use it for ground cover but it is not evergreen so it's not perfect for all-year-round use. It does apparently take some shade, and the crushed leaves have a scent that the Sunset Garden Book describes as a bit like orange peel.

Personally I have enough Ajuga, bindweed, Alstromeria and bamboo in my garden that I don't need yet another rampant spreader. If I was given it I'd keep it in a pot.

cheers,
keke
keke

Postby Big Smile » May 22, 2008 3:46 pm

Daisy wrote:Thanks KeKe for the advice...I think I will keep a really close eye on it.

Daisy the full name of this plant is "Houttuynia cordata Chameleon" thats what my tag says.
Your pic looks the same as mine, but there is no growth yet,,,sigh

Clara
Big Smile

Postby murphy » May 22, 2008 4:38 pm

what I think I would do is plant it in dry spot..but in a big tub sunk into the ground....the soil in the tub will remain moist which will allow this bog plant to trive....but the soil around it will be dry discouraging it from spreading beyond its own little oasis. :)
murphy

Postby thistle » May 22, 2008 9:14 pm

:) Good response Murphy! Containing it in the manner you suggest would most probably work. I understood this to be a plant which thrived in moist soil,so I planted it in an extremely sunny DRY spot hoping this would stop it in it's tracks because it is a very pretty plant, WRONG!!!!!!! I have been picking little spots of this plant out of the same area for years now and it has also spread to other areas of my garden. I am terrified it will take over my rock garden :(
thistle

Next

Return to Plant Talk