Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

WOOD STOVE ASHES

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

WOOD STOVE ASHES

Postby 3725 » May 21, 2008 6:00 pm

..hi from tim...i was told years ago, that ashes from wood were good to put around cucumber plants, to prevent those little striped beetles...

now, i live in the country, and aside from my wood stove, i am using my burn barrel alot. ok, so i have alot of ashes...what do you folks do with ashes?..into the compost?, in the garden etc...thanks..

Postby Durgan » May 21, 2008 6:49 pm

I utilize wood ash for the cucumbers to try to discouarge the stripped cucumber beetle, also on my radishes, and bok choy to discourage the flea beetle. The ash is strained and the powder is placed lightly on the foliage. Whether it is really effective, I am not sure, but it makes me feel better. I suspect the powder effect is the active ingredient more so than the chemcial components in the ash. Sometimes I sprinkle some around the base of plants that have insect damage, also around some plants that are attacked by the European Crane Fly larvae.

I only utilize decidious ash, maple, popular, and never evergreen ash. The ash is strained through a 1/4 inch mesh to remove the carbon pieces, and is essentially a powder. The excess is lightly spread on the vegetable garden. I have no difficulty with about 30 gallons, about what is left from a proper cord of wood for an area of about 1000 square feet. Apparently it can be over-done so some care must be taken.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby dj_backq » May 21, 2008 6:58 pm

Thanks for the insect repellant tips Durgan. Here's what I use it for:

Wood ash can be used to raise pH in your soil. Two of my books state that 15kg per 100m2 will would be the maximum (raising pH by 1).

I also till a little bit of ash in the row where I plant onions, they love the stuff!

Also it's advised to use only hardwood ash and avoid ash from fire started with coloured newspapers. Colour inks contains heavy metals, which your plants will not love.
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Return to Plant Talk