Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Bunny Issues

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Bunny Issues

Postby dragonfly » May 21, 2008 10:07 pm

Hi Everyone...I have some serious bunny issues. The cute little thing is eating everything. I am not sure what is the most effective way to keep them out. Anyone have any suggestions.
dragonfly

Re: Bunny Issues

Postby Durgan » May 22, 2008 6:32 am

dragonfly wrote:Hi Everyone...I have some serious bunny issues. The cute little thing is eating everything. I am not sure what is the most effective way to keep them out. Anyone have any suggestions.

A physical barrier is the humane way. I made my yard rabbit proof with a fence. On the wood sides I placed two feet of wooden slats, and a strong chain-length at the back. No rabbit can get into the large yard. A fence is the best method and is permanent. A dog is useful, but you still need a fence if you live in an area habituated by the fat aand well fed.
Zone 5 Brantford,ON
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Postby Venice » May 22, 2008 9:00 am

I've heard animal fur helps, if you have a pet and brush them out, sitck the fur around your plants. Aslo dirty bathwater, or urine. hehehe, yes tell hubby to go out and dark and pee on the plants hahaha (just not the etible ones hahaa)

For me I use a barrier.

Ven
Venice

Postby everchnginggrden » May 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Fencing keeps the rabbits our of our veggie garden but our yard is too big to fence in everything. I'm also having deer issues! I just planted a Mountain Maple last week and went out today and noticed the deer nibbled on some of the tops GRRRR (good news is they must not have liked it as they didn't eat it all down).

Sharon
Everyone should have something to aspire to

http://www.everchanginggarden.ca
everchnginggrden

Postby dj_backq » May 22, 2008 8:03 pm

Search for this:
Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent.

It reppels all sorts of animals including deers and rabbits, without harming them using simple water sprays. :)
Andre

If man cheats the earth, the earth will cheat man.
dj_backq

Return to Plant Talk