Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Gardening for the Edmonton acreage

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Gardening for the Edmonton acreage

Postby ColleenatStar » May 22, 2008 7:43 am

We are finally at the stage of the yard (just under 6 acres) being cleaned up from about 10 years of abuse. Most articles and books I have seen give help for people with small yards. I have the go ahead to do what I want with the whole yard. We started planting our shelterbelt last year but cost is holding me back from going wild. I found about 3 front end loaders of peony tubers among the weeds last year and transplanted them. We don't know anyone in the area so asking for clippings is out. I am slowly filling up beds but does anyone have ideas of different resources? Also are there any books out there for people that want to plant a few acres of flowerbeds? :lol:
ColleenatStar

Postby Eeyore » May 22, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Colleen, if you do find the dumping site let me know! :wink:

The best thing to do is start with a plan of what you want the area to look like. Do a rough sketch on paper and jot down things like "trees", "shrub bed"
"perennials".... As Lulu mentioned, don't neglect the native plants. Edmonton Public Library has some excellent books that you can borrow. Lois Hole's books are very good. Watch the Edmonton Journal on Thursdays for their "At Home" section. "Canadian Gardening Magazine" is a good one for looking for garden ides and so is "Gardens West". I actually find GW better for our area (Am I allowed to say that on this forum??? :wink: )

Find a good greenhouse in your area and go look at the plants. Stay with plants hardy to zone 3 at least until you get some beds established. Are you east or west of the city?
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ColleenatStar » May 22, 2008 12:04 pm

I am northeast of the city. I now qualify for free trees from the government for increasing the shelterbelt and providing wildlife habitat. Just did not have the time to put in another 400 trees this year. I am aiming to make up another two beds this fall for spring flowering bulbs and some shrubs. I will check out the nurseries and that other magazine you mentioned. So far I have two small beds, one about 60' x 6' and another about 20' x 5'. I am hoping to get enough plants established in the next couple of years that I can have a tradeoff with other people in my area. With the 11 apple trees ( I think at least 3 different varieties) that came with the property I will need to share my bounty. Looking forward to catching up with all the gardening info I have forgot over the years.
ColleenatStar

Postby Eeyore » May 22, 2008 12:31 pm

What types of trees do the gov't offer you? That's a heck of a deal!

Check out Greenlands Garden Center on Highway 16 (I think that's right :? )
north of Sherwood Park. They are excellent and have knowledgeable staff and a huge seltection of trees and shrubs.

http://www.greenlandgarden.com/

Here is their website.... under products scroll down to Plant Listings to see what they have.

I use http://www.monrovia.com/ this site or

http://www.provenwinners.com/ce_main.cfm?pwMainPage

to check on plant specifics. Keep in mind that Monrovia is American (PW probably is too) so you'll need to know what zone you are equivelent to. I find that I am zone 4 on the Canadian Chart and the same on the American one. For size specifics, I assume that if a plant is hardy in zones 4-9 then in my garden it will likely be the smallest size given.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby ColleenatStar » May 22, 2008 9:29 pm

If someone has over 5 acres they can order trees this fall for next May delivery. They are a few years old and there is a really good selection. Anybody interested just has to contact me for the website. We didn't order this year because we wanted to see how the ones we put in last year did. I will try out some landscaping software that I got with my renovation software. I can see in my head how I want it to look in 10 years. Just have to put the sweat into it. Not something new to the two of us. I'll take the suggestion of checking out greenhouses in the Fort area to see when things start getting marked down.
ColleenatStar

Postby ColleenatStar » May 25, 2008 8:32 am

Going to work on the landscape drawings this week. Already broached hubby about more lilac trees and rose hedge bushes around the birch stand. Thats a go. Yeah! Yesterday finished clearing the last of the bush gone wild and removed stumps with the tractor. Some bigger than the bed of our trunk. I love our little old tractor. Now we can rototill that area. It is on the east side of our property. There is about 120' that is sheltered with a wooden fence and large spruce trees. The only thing growing under them is raspberries. We have trimmed up the dead branches up to about 6'. Is there something I can plant under there to give it some interest? I live in the 3a/3b zone but this area is really sheltered. It would be really nice to put something in this week while hubby is feeling guilty on working on the barn. :lol:
ColleenatStar

Postby Eeyore » May 25, 2008 10:51 pm

Planting under spruce trees is difficult but not impossible. You'll need plants that can handle dry shade. Spruce will suck up any moisture in the area.

I've got a brochure that lists the following for dry shade

Goutweed (UGH!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!)
Lily of the Valley - Convallaria majalis
Cranesbill (Bigroot) - Geranium macrorrhizum
Yellow Archangel - Lamiastrum galeobdolon
Creeping Lamium - Lamium maculatum
Japanese Spurge - Pachysandra terminalis
Periwinkle - Vinca Minor
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
Eeyore

Postby Pansy » May 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Colleen you mentioned planting Lilacs,please talk to the

people at the nurseries & buy ones that do not sucker.

If you get ones that sucker on a large property....you may

be sorry in years to come.
Pansy
Zone 5 B
Pansy

Next

Return to Plant Talk