Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Begonia Question

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Begonia Question

Postby Hushypuppy » May 23, 2008 8:34 am

I am confused again about my Begonias. They are about 1 foot tall now and probably ready for outside if the temperature is right. It is my first time with these plants, so I am a bit clueless.
What temp does it have to be before I can at least move them to my portable greenhouse?
Also, I am sure I read that they are to go in the shade...however now several people have told me to put them in the sun...is it sun or shade?

Ps The plants are really beautiful..really lush and strong so thanks to everyone who helped me when the tubbers arrived with some really bizarro instructions.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 23, 2008 9:11 am

Begonias a foot tall will require careful handling to get hardened off without incident.
They are very brittle, and break easily. They also do not respond well to wind at this early stage.
Try to get them outside in the most sheltered location you can.
The greenhouse might be too hot.
They can handle cool conditions, but definitely not frost, regardless of how well hardened off they may be.
Plants as tall as you have may need to have a stake planted with them, and the stalks carefully tied up as you get them in the ground. Any soft material will do....give a rather lax tie, as you do not want them quite as upright as a soldier at attention!
A hint for another time is to start them indoors a bit later, so that they are not so large at transplant time. Short and stocky is better. They catch up after they are planted, and you don't suufer the stem breakage that seems inevitable with tall plants
They do require shade....the morning sun followed by afternoon shade seems to work well.
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Postby Hushypuppy » May 23, 2008 10:24 am

Sharon,,,Some of the stalks are as thick as my pinkie. They are very bushy...the leaves are huge like my hand...
I will stake them, and I have a sheltered spot for them all picked out. I am very glad about the shade...as this is the spot I had picked.
I will post some pics after I plant.
Thanks

Kris
A Basset Is An Asset!
Hushypuppy

Postby Northpine » May 23, 2008 11:42 am

Hushpuppy,
I agree with Sharon about staking. I learned the hard way when a fully in bloom begonia snapped off in the wind, never to recover.
Now when transplanting mine outdoors, I immediately stake them. I use bamboo stakes about 8-10 inches long. I stick them in and tie the begonia stem to it with strips of pantyhose. They are soft and stretchy.
The stakes are short and don't show at all once the plant grows.
Northpine

Return to Plant Talk