Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Question about morning glories

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Question about morning glories

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 23, 2008 11:04 am

I would like to plant morning glories to cover my chain link fence. I have about a 60 foot length to cover. I would like to plant them in pots so it will be easy to trim around them. How much do these plants spread? My plan is to put a pot about every 4 feet or so. Will this be enough to cover the fence? I would plant several seeds in each pot (about 8-10 cm pots).
whiteteeth1972

Postby kelly_m » May 23, 2008 11:18 am

I would go with less than 4 feet between...although they do spread, you may have blank spots at the bottom...if you can do every 2 feet or so, you might have better coverage.

And hopefully lotsa seeds....60'!!!

I have done pretty much the same in one spot, although I have planted them in the ground...I am looking forward to seeing what happens!
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby whiteteeth1972 » May 23, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for the reply. I have tons of seed. I bought every packet at Zellers and someone gave me a bunch more. I will space them a bit more closely and hopefully that will do the trick.
whiteteeth1972

Postby Sheikea » May 26, 2008 1:41 pm

I also have bought moring glories this year and started them in a greenhouse.They are coming along nicely so I would think its time to send em to the ground.I love they way they spread,hopefully I get good coverage this year. :D
Sheikea

Postby dlb » May 26, 2008 3:02 pm

I've read that if one fertilizes morning glory, that the nitrogen in the fertilizer causes them to produce more leaves and fewer flowers. On the other hand, this might be a desired result in some cases. Thoughts?
Dora
dlb

Postby Pepper » May 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Yes, I made the mistake of fertilizing my morning glories a few years ago...not only were there fewer flowers, but also fewer leaves...it was bad - very, very bad... :(

However, on the years when I don't, they spread quite vigorously. I love them! Which colour are you planting?
Zone 5A
Pepper

Postby Meggylou » May 26, 2008 3:09 pm

I have some out in the garden already, they're maybe 4 inches tall...not very big yet. I've planted royal mix I think it's called...I also have some mystery seeds from a friend, going to plant those out and see what pops up.
Meggylou

Morning Glories

Postby pookytooth » May 26, 2008 9:35 pm

This is one of my favourites:I planted 1 season: Blue ones: they were beautiful: all along the back fence against the park and down my pool fence : 1 problem
I have never had to buy seed again : the seed will spread and will start to root and grow in your grass as well .I have never had the blue ones comes up again but muticoloured ones now must have been a cross pollination.
I merely go out to my flower beds in the spring cultivate a bit not to deep clear out the weeds and in about a week they they are 100's of them : I merely weed out the ones I don't to grow and keep the ones along the fence line now. I have been doing this now for about 7 years .
Not bad for a few packets of seeds in the begining.
I put miracle grow on a regular basis after I get 1 full size leaf out on a tiny vine.

I leave the vine over the winter : seems to be Home for lady Bugs.
pookytooth

Postby Sharon Bryson » May 26, 2008 9:43 pm

several seeds in each pot (about 8-10 cm pots).

I suspect you may need a 10 inch pot rather than a 10 cm one!
Cheers
Sharon
Antigonish, NS Zone 5b

"The fairest thing in nature, a flower, still has its' roots in earth and manure."
- D.H. Lawrence

http://sharon-willowgardenmusings.blogspot.com/
http://www.willowgarden.net/
Sharon Bryson

Return to Plant Talk