Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Time to throw in the trowel?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Time to throw in the trowel?

Postby Northpine » May 23, 2008 11:58 am

I'm getting really frustrated.
I've been trying to divide and move around perennials, which every year seems to be more and more daunting.
Last evening, while attempting to dig up and move an aruncus, I snapped off the handle of my garden fork. Oh well, I thought, I'll just have to use my favorite shovel. I stuck it in, pressed down and it also snapped off. I loved that shovel. It was the perfect size for me and I used it constantly.

Today, I dug up an ant infested fescue. I thought I'd saw through it with my folding pruning saw (I know, not good, but it cuts through roots so well) and salvage what wasn't dead. The handle of the saw promptly snapped off.
So now I'm defeated and in the house on the computer. My yard is littered with the remains of my tools.
Is it a sign? Should I quit?
Northpine

Postby dlb » May 23, 2008 12:51 pm

NO! It is not time to quit.

It's time to go SHOPPING! :D

DORA
dlb

Postby Eeyore » May 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Laughing with you NP! Not at you!

Like Dora says, time to go shopping! You can probably get replacement handles for the fork and shovel. I'd also stop for a coffee or ice-cream on the way. Just to ease the frustration!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » May 23, 2008 1:07 pm

I have lost more garden forks than I care to count!! They are my favourite and most useful gardening tool.

Last one I got had the steel almost halfway up the shaft....it snapped.

So now I saw one at CT with a fibreglass handle....I think I'll save up my pennies for that one! Maybe I'll have better luck...or at least less of a chance of snapping that one????

Kmissing her fork!

BTW... Fibreglass pole with ergonomic triangular design
40% stronger than wood
Steel tines
Lifetime warranty
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

OLD GARDENERS NEVER DIE. THEY JUST SPADE AWAY
kelly_m

Postby Eeyore » May 23, 2008 1:12 pm

Oooh! I didn't get a mommy's day present yet.... that sounds like a good one Kelly!
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby kelly_m » May 23, 2008 1:14 pm

Doesn't it just...retails for $30
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Postby Northpine » May 23, 2008 2:09 pm

OOh, Kelly,
That sounds interesting. I might have to make a trip to CT soon. Closest one is 1 1/2 hours away though.
Honestly, I was wondering if it's the way I'm using the tool. Does one have to be careful not to press down on the wrong angle?
I doubt I'll be able to find a handle for the small shovel though. I will look. I also thought of phoning Lee Valley to see if they guarantee their handles from snapping.
Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I feel better now. Ice cream it is, I think, LOL.
Northpine

Postby kelly_m » May 23, 2008 2:34 pm

I don't think it really matters which way you lean on it....mind you the putting the whole body weight on the handle to get the tree/stump/root/rock out might have something to do with it!!! :wink:

I'd say for a lifetime warranty it's worth the 1 1/2 hr trip...as long as you have other things on your list too!!!!

K
Kelly
Zone 5a/b

kelly_m

Some kind of Day!

Postby DMG » May 23, 2008 4:06 pm

You sure had your fair share of trouble today didn't you? I think it was definitely a sign to put your feet up, get a nice glass of wine, icecream cone, or coffee and a good book. Leave the gardening till tomorrow when you will wake with renewed enthusiasm and perhaps even more determination to beat those roots! A trip to a hardware store is also on your menu LOL DMG
Gardening in Zone 5
DMG

Next

Return to Plant Talk