Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Time to throw in the trowel?

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Postby Venice » May 23, 2008 5:06 pm

I must say 'Homesense' had some awesome looking gardening tools, I don't really need any so I didn't get any. They're the ergonomic kind in bright green.

Ohhh the pots and garden stuff there omg it's amazing!!!

Ven
Venice

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 23, 2008 5:44 pm

I'd stop working out at the fitness center. Obviously, you are too strong for your own good!! LOL LOL LOL

It sounds to me like you are not cutting through enough of the roots before trying to rock the plant out with your tools. I use a half-moon edger and another gizmo that has a very long shovel piece on it (not sure what it's called - looks like a shovel but the blade part is very long) to get the roots taken care of. Sometimes, it is necessary to dig the dirt out around the roots and cut the roots using a pruner before rocking the plant out. My neighbor and I took out a goldflame spirea this Spring and it took lots of root cutting before we could get the plant loose.
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby murphy » May 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Northpine wrote:OOh, Kelly,
That sounds interesting. I might have to make a trip to CT soon. Closest one is 1 1/2 hours away though.
Honestly, I was wondering if it's the way I'm using the tool. Does one have to be careful not to press down on the wrong angle?
I doubt I'll be able to find a handle for the small shovel though. I will look. I also thought of phoning Lee Valley to see if they guarantee their handles from snapping.
Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I feel better now. Ice cream it is, I think, LOL.

You can order from CT online....www.canadiantire.com....at christmas where I live they have free delivery...I buy many gifts even though I have two stores I can get to withing ten minutes of my home...saves me having to hassel with the crowds...just a few clicks then two days later they are all magically at my door.
murphy

Postby murphy » May 23, 2008 10:17 pm

I like Lee Valley tools....you can order them on line also...and they stand 100% behind everything they sell. One year I got a long handled shovel....they refunded me the full price of it the next year as they had a number of customer compaints regarding the handle breaking...mine was just fine and I used it for about five more years until my handle broke. Same with the Haws watering can....hubby got it for me for christmas...in the spring they sent my a checque saying that the price had dropped in their new catalogue so they were refunding me the difference....this fall hubby was using my pruner and lost the spring between the handle...I called them and they had a new one shipped to me by the end of the week. They cost a bit more than some palces...but with service like that it is so worth it.
murphy

Postby Paul zone5 » May 23, 2008 10:46 pm

Fiskars has some interesting new designs on tools. They are sold by CTC.
Also Lee Valley has very good gardening tools.
Just north of Toronto
Paul zone5

Postby DonnaZn2SK » May 24, 2008 1:03 am

Northpine,

Sorry to hear about your tool troubles. Things aren't made as sturdy as in the past, that's for sure. I always buy the best garden tools I can afford...they last longer than any of the cheap ones from the grocery store or the low-end line at the hardware store.

I've never tried to divide my aruncus, in fact, I've heard that they rarely need dividing. I need to dig out an old rose bush this week, so wish me luck so that MY spade doesn't snap in half!
DonnaZn2SK

Previous

Return to Plant Talk