Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Silene

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Silene

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 23, 2008 6:02 pm

I bought three plants that had pink flowers and were called 'Silene' and 'catchfly.' I saw at the store today that Silene is an annual and heard on this list that Silene is biennial. Well, I'm on year three of these plants and, as you can see from the pic below, they are blooming their heads off. Any guess what this plant really is?

Thanks so much for your thoughts on this...
Attachments
Silene-catchfly-May08-255kb.jpg
Trish in Iowa -- -- ..zone 5b or 6a
------When your feet hit the floor each morning,
---------be the kind of woman about whom

---------the devil says, "[/code]Oh no! She's up!"
A Closet Canuck

Postby Catherine » May 23, 2008 6:39 pm

Looks like Catchfly to me but whatever it is - very pretty.
Cath
If two loaves of bread are all you have left, you ahould sell one and buy hyacinths to feed your soul.........Arabic proverb
Catherine

Postby patty » May 23, 2008 6:44 pm

That shade of pink is beautiful, and looks a lot like my Lychnis German Catchfly. I have a photo on the other computer, for comparison if needed. Are the stems, just below the blooms sticky on your plant Trish? If so, then I'm very confident to say that's what it is.
patty

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 23, 2008 8:01 pm

patty wrote:That shade of pink is beautiful, and looks a lot like my Lychnis German Catchfly. I have a photo on the other computer, for comparison if needed. Are the stems, just below the blooms sticky on your plant Trish? If so, then I'm very confident to say that's what it is.

I'll check!

A Closet Canuck

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 23, 2008 9:14 pm

Well, patty, you were right as rain! The stems are sticky just below the blooms. So, catchfly it is.

Thanks so much.

A Closet Canuck

Postby patty » May 23, 2008 11:33 pm

The Closet Canuck wrote:Well, patty, you were right as rain! The stems are sticky just below the blooms. So, catchfly it is.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for updating us Trish! I don't see this plant in nurseries around here very much any more, which is such a shame. Your garden looks very interesting.....makes me want to see more. Hope you share more soon.
patty

Postby A Closet Canuck » May 24, 2008 9:36 am

[quote="pattyThanks for updating us Trish! I don't see this plant in nurseries around here very much any more, which is such a shame. Your garden looks very interesting.....makes me want to see more. Hope you share more soon.[/quote]

Sorry, patty, but my garden is closed for renovation. We are replacing the siding on the porch and then re-doing most of the beds.

The bed where the catchfly sits is the re-do that is the farthest along. The anchor plants are 'Morden Centennial' rose, which does wonderfully in somewhat drought-prone spot, and Russual sage (a cutting from a neighbor's plant that I grew on last year). Other plants include Hyssop officionalis, lavender (which I pruned back way too hard), silene, various herbs (tarragon, thyme, sage, etc.), and an as-yet-unchosen vine.

The lower level has minature roses, salvia, dianthus, 'Dover Beach' bearded iris, and 'Melody Gypsy' dahlias which I'm going to cut back for shorter fuller plants with more blooms.

The unveiling will be in 2009 or 2010. Or, maybe not at all, as I have no sense of design! LOL LOL LOL

A Closet Canuck

Return to Plant Talk