Plant Talk - Gardening Forums

Willow Tree Removal

For help in growing and maintaining your favourite plants, from sowing seeds and staking perennials to pruning roses, shrubs and trees, join the discussion.

Willow Tree Removal

Postby kids3 » May 23, 2008 7:22 pm

Hi
I had a willow tree in my backyard and due to root problems etc we have to cut it down. How do I kill the root system? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
kids3

Postby isabelbrinck » May 23, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm not really sure but some friends of mine have just bought a house with a willow tree too close to the foundation, so they are having it removed. They hired professionals to do this.
Isabel
Montreal, QC
Hardiness Zone 5a
isabelbrinck

Postby B_BQ » May 23, 2008 7:31 pm

I don't know the answer, and I'm sorry about that.
It's going to be difficult, as the roots will send up new shoots over and over again, and it will be a constant battle!
We had a huge one, more than 4' across at the base, and about 100' high. We had it cut down professionally at a cost of hundreds of $$$$, but every year we had to be very vigilant and continually cut off the suckers. We battled it for over 10 years. We left that property just over 2 years ago and don't know what the new owners have done!
Hope you find a good solution.
~BBQ
Zone 5b
South/Central Ontario

Every day may not be good, but there's something good in every day
~ Author Unknown
B_BQ

Postby Venice » May 23, 2008 8:14 pm

You can have a professional dig it out with a backhoe. I think you can spray some kind of 'roundup' on it.

You can also dig around it, and cut it off below the soil line, and then put something overtop, to hopefully starve it.

Good luck.
Venice

Postby Eeyore » May 23, 2008 8:38 pm

There is a product called "Stump Remover" Get some of that and follow the directions. It may take awhile for it to reach all of the root system but it should kill it off. You can also have the stump ground out.
Lyn
AB, Zone 3A
----------------------------------
“Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it.” ` James Arthur Baldwin"
Eeyore

Postby Grannygardener » May 23, 2008 8:41 pm

About 20 years ago ( I'm guessing) we had a gorgeous willow in our back yard. Our neighbour didn't like it, and at some point drilled holes in it and poured antifreeze in the holes. As parts of the tree died over the next year we removed the dead parts and eventually cut down the remaining trunk. Oddly enough we never had any wee trees growing up from the roots. It's not a method that I advocate but thought I'd put it out there. Remember Ken who had a call-in show on the women's network. He once mentioned a mixture of diesel fuel and stump remover to kill a stump and rooting system in trees.Drastic measure of course, but when all else fails only do what your conscience allows. Edie
I've spent most of my time in the garden,the rest I've wasted. Edie Zone4A, Ont.
Grannygardener

Return to Plant Talk